Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new boat suggetions

Post Thanks / Like

Default new boat suggetions

well i got the new (to me) boat out today and im pretty happy with the first day results. you may remember i couldnt get it to start(much of the time) and wouldnt idle at all. i put new plugs in it and drained the gas tank and put 93 octain fuel in it with some fuel system cleaner and ran the dog out of it in the yard. i didnt realize you could pull the shifter out and give it throttle while in neutral but hey learn something everyday right. seems to be starting and idleing much better now. i was wondering if i had some bad gas in it or do i need to burn the 93 oct in it? what grade of fuel do you guys burn? also im planning on servicing the lower unit- new seal and dope but other than that is there anything else yall can think of? i know i need to disconnect the auto oiler but ill have to study up on that. seems i may have got lucky on a used boat but its still early to tell. any maintence advice id appreciate- thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I burn the best gas available. Never let me down.

Post Thanks / Like

this boat is an 86 stratos with a 70hhp johnson the auto oiler seems to be fine is there anyone who recommends leaving it alone and using it?

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Most outboards are designed to run on 87 octane. I wouldn't rev it up too high on the hose in the yard. While you got that l/u off you should replace the water pump impeller. Before you take anyone's advice on the removal of your VRO tank and start mixing your fuel read this:
    http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi...6;gtid=1035570

If you have the updated (OMS) system as described in the article I wouldn't remove it and start mixing. I would assume that you do in fact have the old system (with the brown fuel outlet fitting) unless someone updated it. In that case you can either replace it with the updated system (about $269) or remove it and mix your fuel. Personally I prefer to use the system. The VRO is a very reliable oil delivery system. Some people just don't trust it though.
    But I'd check to see which one I had before I did away with it.

I would recommend BRP HPF Ultra lower unit oil and using BRP XD-50 oil.
    Pick it up at any E'rude/Johnson Dealer and you can buy the engine oil in bulk at a reduced price if you bring your own jug. While you're there get a can of Motor Tuner and decarb your motor. If you read the recent thread about IwishIdid' s Optimax the reason they thought a ring was sticking was because of carbon build-up. Motor Tuner will eliminate the carbon that's built up every time its been ran since 1986. Cause I bet no one ever did a decarb on it. The XD-50 will reduce the amount of carbon deposits that form in the future.
    Last edited by fiddlefarter; 02-23-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new boat Bama.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Johnson 150GT and my mechanic told me the gas was not as important as the oil you use. I mix my fuel and oil and after running some oil I got from the gas station, it ran like crap. As soon as I went back to Quicksilver oil in the next tank, it started running right.
    Joe

-----------------------------
    Still learning this crappie thing.
    -----------------------------

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    this boat is an 86 stratos with a 70hhp johnson the auto oiler seems to be fine is there anyone who recommends leaving it alone and using it?
    Dont know much about your motor but I have a '97 oil injected 50 hp Johnson and I was very skeptical when I bought it. For 30 years I ran motors without oil injection systems. It's never let me down and the alarms lets me know if anything goes wrong. My alarm sounds if the oil tank gets about an inch from being empty. The motor will shut off before you will do it any harm should something happen and the oil doesnt reach the motor. I like it cause I buy a gal. of oil once or twice a year and never have to worry about it and can just buy gas anywhere and dont have to worry about adding oil.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.