HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: accuracy shooting docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default accuracy shooting docks

I shoot docks with 6ft bnm sharpshooter and a 7ft ozark and it works well. Have stated shooting floating docks and pontoon boats, my question is will and shorter rod give me better accuracy. The aim at a boat house and a pontoon is very different. You can just point it at a boat house or dock that has large shooting areas and do good but a pontoon and floating dock is very different. I know there are folks that can hit a 6inch hole from 25ft but not the norm. Any suggestions? don't say practice.....

Post Thanks / Like

I skip my bait in those situations and I cast , I don't dock shoot . i employ a parallel to the water surface type cast with a very firm flick of a stiff 6 footer .....full spool required as well
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes skeetbum, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do the best with a 5.6 rod, shoot through a 4 inch hole , keep the line between the hook and rod tip parallel to the water, works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have better accuracy with the shorter rods. The longer rods are better for distance, especially with the lighter jig heads. IMO

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

With a shorter rod, get closer to the target "hole" if possible. Using a rod with a stiff backbone & fast action tip will get you distance... even on a shorter rod.

Do I think a shorter rod will give you more accuracy ?? Uh, no ... not particularly. Accuracy comes from getting the line angle correct, from rod tip to jig, and releasing the jig and spool line at the correct time. Meaning : line from jig to rod tip should be angled down towards rod tip just a few degrees ... and after jig is released & travels past the rod tip, you release the spool line. Accuracy is mostly "timing" the release correctly & aiming with the line so that the jig skips on the water just in front of the "hole" you're aiming at. Getting as low to the water as possible can also make a difference.

Good limp line helps, as does having a wide or long spool reel ... both for distance and accuracy, regardless of rod length.
    Likes Spaceman, Dave and Lynn, trypman1, hdhntr LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    With a shorter rod, get closer to the target "hole" if possible. Using a rod with a stiff backbone & fast action tip will get you distance... even on a shorter rod.

Do I think a shorter rod will give you more accuracy ?? Uh, no ... not particularly. Accuracy comes from getting the line angle correct, from rod tip to jig, and releasing the jig and spool line at the correct time. Meaning : line from jig to rod tip should be angled down towards rod tip just a few degrees ... and after jig is released & travels past the rod tip, you release the spool line. Accuracy is mostly "timing" the release correctly & aiming with the line so that the jig skips on the water just in front of the "hole" you're aiming at. Getting as low to the water as possible can also make a difference.

Good limp line helps, as does having a wide or long spool reel ... both for distance and accuracy, regardless of rod length.
    Very well said. Only thing I came add is "practice". You can practice at home with a garage door slightly opened or set a 5 gallon bucket on its side.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Short rod's will help a little for some people but the thing you don't want to hear is the key. Sorry but the more you do it the better you will get. There's really no shortcuts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Likes grizwilson, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Shooting docks and shooting pontoon boats are two different things. The back side of a pontoon boat has a lot of stuff hanging down on at least one side. Missing your mark can be quite a loud sound and get the attention of boat owners and don't blame them. I understand practice and do but just thinking about what others use. You do get close to a pontoon to shoot and that was my thought on the shorter rod. Thanks

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how tight the quarters are. Close and tight I'll take a short rod, but not under 5'6". Normally I use my everything rod, a 6'6" fast tip Lightning rod, now out of production. And I can hit a 6"square hole regularly, but not on the first dock. I have to warm up a little first. And I'm sorry to have to say it, but practice with no one else around is where you'll work out the kinks in your form. I've done it so much I don't think much of it anymore, just load and fire. Even with a tiny cork on the line, though that is way different and humbles you some. And it isn't always docks. Shooting and skipping under trees and brush is common on a trip to the river. After all, it is all about control of the presentation.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm no pro at it but am getting a lil better have only been 12-15 times but I love it.i have a b&m sharp shooter 4.5' and a 5' b&m that I seam to always go back too .I also have the Wally speed shooter in a 5.5'and a 7' and I really like them they are really sensitive. but am a lil more accurate with my shorter rods up close .i really like shooting tighter spaces like the floating docks and the pontoons. Much more of a challenge to me.
    Too blessed to be stressed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast