Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question..Need Answers!!!?!?!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question..Need Answers!!!?!?!

I was wondering is there any way to judge how deep a lure is going by time and depth.

For example does a lure fall 5 feet in 5 seconds or 5 feet in 10 seconds.

I know it probably depends on what kind of water your fishing in, how much weight you have on your line and what not.

But is there a basic generic answer for this?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Not really ....

Quote Originally Posted by adacrappieman
    I was wondering is there any way to judge how deep a lure is going by time and depth.

For example does a lure fall 5 feet in 5 seconds or 5 feet in 10 seconds.

I know it probably depends on what kind of water your fishing in, how much weight you have on your line and what not.

But is there a basic generic answer for this?
    though, I think most people consider a 1/16oz jig, on 4lb test mono, will fall about 1 foot per second. Best way to tell is to cast to a spot where you know the water depth, and count (or clock) the lure to the bottom. It's all relative to the lure in question, though ... as a jighead w/plastic body would probably fall a little slower than a jig with hair/feathers - even with the same weight of head/hook. But, we're talking fractions of a second, even in this case. Just get a ballpark drop rate, and you should be fine. And, if you think it's dropping deeper, faster than you'd like .... just start reeling a foot or two earlier (remember - Crappie are more likely to come "up" to a bait, than they are to go "down" to one ) ........... Just MHO !! ........... cp

Post Thanks / Like

thank ya much