HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to give spider rigging a good shot soon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going to give spider rigging a good shot soon

I'm going to try something different in 2017.... spider rigging. Well, probably a mini version compared to most of you.... I'll only be using 4 poles for now. I ordered a 4 pole spyderlok holder and 4 southern crappie 14ft rods. That seems to be a good quality start.

I will not be spider rigging all the time, I still love to cast a jig and fill the thump, or tight line deep in a brush pile, but I know it is a technique that works so I need to have it in my arsenal. I also think that my 5 year old fishing buddy will enjoy it.

I have picked up so many tips on here already. Thanks to everyone that shares and helps on here all the time. Looking forward to putting more of the tips and knowledge to use.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

It is so much fun, and relaxing to me. Not having to hold a pole all day, or cast and reel all day. Put the rods in the hoders and let the boat do the work.

Good Luck to you in 2017.
    If you dont have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find time time to fix it.
    Likes akaslyguy LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My 1st memory of spider riggin was dragging a cork and minner alongside the boat while we were casting for crappie ...

And then was noticing I was catching a respectable amount of fish on the cork and minner pole that wasn't even in my hands ...

So then I added a 2nd pole on the other side while we were casting ...and started catching on that pole also ...

Well that's how it starts sometimes ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes blueball, Redge, crappie flash, DOFC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A very relaxing way to fish & add to the arsenal, 4 poles will get it done.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a great tool to add to the tool box. Fun beyond belief when it starts happening fast. I also started with 4 and worked up to an 8 rod rig. Only some of the time can I run 8 rods, can't keep up with them all. Read and learn all you can and adapt it to the way you want to fish. Dead slow with without weight or faster with weight. Have fun and keep us posted.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Fishguy86 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish any other way!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. It's going to be a lot different for me because I am mostly a brush pile fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you will follow up with a report of how you like that setup, I have been planning on taking a dip in the spider rigging pool this coming year and have been planning to buy the same list of equipment you mentioned. Good luck!
    Likes akaslyguy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been spider rigging for 3 yrs now, and in my opinion there is no better way to catch Crappie in the Summer, I wills say it takes a sharp eye and concentration to see the light bites, this is something my now 13 yr old Grandson struggles with late in the day. 4 poles is plenty.....once you see 2 or 3 go down, you will get busy real fast, I know when I fish alone it can be work, but this kind of work is always good. Good luck

ps. Ive been using cheap spinning reels, but watched a video from Ed Duke (Southern Crappie) the other day, and he was using what looked to be a fly reel. I may see about finding some for next year, they wouldnt take up nearly as much room on the deck of the boat, and as long as they had a decent drag they could be a better choice.
    Likes akaslyguy, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite way to get serious and catch crappie. Still like holding a couple poles by hand over a brush pile or a short rod under a low bridge. But spider rigging puts the meat in the boat. Only dislike of it is when You find a brushpile with your spread. That can ruin a good 30 minutes. But when You got 2, 3, or 4 poles going down at the same time, ain't nothing like it and its a chinese fire drill for sure. Then there is that 10 pound striper or catfish that will hit, have their way with all your rods and turn 8 rods into a giant knot. That is always fun!CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast