Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod upgrade?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod upgrade?

I am in the process of upgrading from 12' to 14' rods. What action/stiffness does everyone prefer for spider rigging? I usually fish 1/2oz weights but may need to use 3/4oz at times.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Best rods out there for the money. Designed by owner for 1/2 oz weights. You deal direct with owner. Plus for you he is almost a home town guy. Ed Dukes is a fine fellow and a hoot to talk to.

Home - Southern Crappie Rods
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I second Southern Crappie rods. I like and used the 16 footers.
    LittleJohn
    Likes blueball, excited4711 LIKED above post

M R Dux is online now Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered 10 more 14 foot (SCR143) Southern Crappie Rods from Ed this AM. Also ordered 6 replacement tips. His rods are second to none as far as sensitivity and brute strength. We hung the braid line on a 143 in my trolling motor yesterday and it literally bent in a complete U from the rod holder to the motor. I got the motor shut off in time to keep from breaking the tip off. I haven't found any other type crappie rod that will do that. The motor did eat the tip of one 143 but that sure wasn't the fault of the rod. With clients, my gear takes a serious beating. That's why I keep replacement tip sections. Stepping on rods doesn't work well for tips on anybody's rods.

Ed also has a SCR143T rod that will hold 2 oz of weight at the tip and bend no more than a few inches. Those are the best pushing rods made and he has a SCR122T coming out in about 3 weeks. SCR163T to follow in the spring.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Clint, blueball, excited4711, blue-jig LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Are the 2oz rods still sensitive enough to see a lite bite?

M R Dux is online now Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKFISHER View Post
    Are the 2oz rods still sensitive enough to see a lite bite?
    They aren't as sensitive as the regular SCR143 but they aren't meant to be. Apples/oranges, so no the lightest bite probably won't be detected.. The SCR143 has a very sensitive tip with slow action but serious backbone.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I want to be able to run up to a 3/4oz weight without a serious bend in the rod, will the SCR143do this?

Post Thanks / Like

BnM Pro Staff Trollers. I use them and love them. I fish 1/2 oz most of the time and 3/4 on occasion. not much bend in the rod with the 3/4 which is what you want for bite detection. Handles the weight well and has good backbone so when you swing in a fish, it comes right to you instead of 4 feet to your right or left.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 14' Pro Staff Trollers in my rig yesterday and it was apparent which rods were the B&M. They had twice as much bend with 1/2 oz weights than the SCR143s.

SCR143s with 3/4 oz weights? You will have bend but not serious bend like some other rods. Probably no more than 6".

I think Ed at Southern Crappie Rods has some videos on his site about different sized weights on his rods. I've seen those videos somewhere.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have run up to 1 oz on mine with no problem. No serious bending in the tip. You do loose a little sensitivity but nothing serious.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes arkcrappie, blueball LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast