Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk fishing line (Spinning gear) , also Snaps for jigs, lastly jig choice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's talk fishing line, also Snaps on jigs, lastly jig choice

1) Is there much difference using 4# vs 6 or 8# ? As to more bites?

I use P-Line CX often, sometimes Stren XL, both in 6, and have 8# CX on a few reels and just plain Trilene BG Mono in 8#.

All of the above line is "Clear" - and I fish water that has decent clarity for Louisiana lakes. Right now fishing right next to the bottom with jigs in deep water, few snags.

I have 4# Stren XL in low viz green - will it catch more fish being smaller?

I am contemplating using smaller line - w/o going to say nanofil for expense. I have considered using PP 10# in moss green but hear you need a leader for best results? Yes, no?

So basically is my CX 6# in clear, costing me fish? Is there a better line?

2) Using snaps for jigs, vs loop knots? Do you guys see much difference in bites either way? In the snaps - is silver or black better? Or same?

3) Lastly, what jigs are you guys catching the most fish on right now? Soft plastic? Tube? Maribou? Color? Size?

Do you guys notice the head shape/color and eye size/shape/color vs no eye on a jig affect bites?

4) Lastly, when bottom fishing with jigs, what is your preferred set up? Weight on bottom? If so, how far up do you place your jig? Or jigs?

Thanks in advance for all replies - these fish seem very fickle this winter, trying to improve the results.....
    Last edited by 65BR; 12-27-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You will get many responses with personal preferences with this list of questions...lol.
    So, I will offer mine. But I need to start my response with a slightly off question qualifier. First, spinning reels can be challenging with feeding extra line; they are sensitive to line twist; and they don't like line with memory. The smaller size reels (spools) exacerbate this issue. So, if you want a smaller reel, consider if you can go up one size. For instance, you might want a size 25, but a size 30 may serve you better.
    Next, properly spooling your spinning reel is important to reduce line twist. When I re-spool, I will immediately go out in the yard and pull all the line across the yard with nothing connected to the end. Applying slight pressure to the line between the reel and first eye on the rod...a wet rag helps. When winding the line you can see the twists coming out of the line. Some folks like line conditioner. I personally don't use conditioner.
    Now to get to your line preference question. I like Maxima, Pline CX and CXX, and Mr Crappie. I like and want Hi-vis. Many crappie bites are subtle and undetectable...you want to be able to watch the line for things like the line slowly moving against the current...an indicator. I exclusively use 6lb test.
    I primarily single pole laydowns and structure, so I snag often and use much line. So I don't need or go for the more expensive brands.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes Hanr3, prefers shiners LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay. Too many questions for my simple mind. I forgot to answer a couple you asked. For my technique, no snaps or swivels. I 100% use loop knots.
    My go to jig is a 1/24oz plain lead head. I adjust weight to the condition (e.g. current). Jig head color has not made a difference for me.
    Preferred bait is Bobby Garland baby shad.
    Lots of things you can do for finicky fish. I think the best and first adjustment you can make is slow the presentation. When you think you have slowed the presentation, slow it down more. This is by no means a cure-all solution, but a place to start. Don't be afraid to experiment with different presentations. The fish will tell you what they want.
    Okay, my thumb is tired from pecking on the tablet. Hope this helps. Many others will join in with sound advice and recommendations.
    Last edited by Spaceman; 12-27-2016 at 11:39 PM.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. My personal preference is using #4 Stren Hi Vis yellow line threaded through a slip bobber. I use the tiniest snap I can find so I can change lures quickly. No other hardware is needed. My personal preference also includes a 1/16th minnow head jig with a sickle hook. Some soft plastic stinger or tube completes the presentation.I fish a lot of staiined water so I always use a two color soft plastic like Chartreuse and black, pink and white, chartreuse and pink or white and orange.

Name:  Basic Rig.jpg
Views: 3936
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  Stinger.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  6.0 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

More answers then you have time to read. But line size it depends on how you fish. I shoot docks and the lightest line I can use is best, shooting docks and boat houses that are very large I use 4lb to get it all the way back. Loop knot allows the jig to move more but is not as strong as others. I use 1/32 oz and sometimes a 1/24 but the fall speed is important to me. I also use bobby garland and strike king grubs. Sometimes I vertical jig around deep docks and use 1/16 on the bottom and 1/32 about 18 inches up do not use any additional weight. I do use hi- vis line but been reading about very clear water and the need to use clear line. Use what you have confidence in.
    Likes jim8861 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff folks, currently the fishing on the lake I frequent - we are drift fishing in water 15-20+ feet deep, the Crappie seem to be right on the bottom. Many locals use weights on the bottom, I've tried both, but prefer my jig to not have line, etc hanging below. When you talk about slowing down your presentation, do you guys move your jigs at all - like bounce your rod tip any, or you just leave it motionless other than moving with the current...in my case drifting in the wind....

Appreciate the advice guys - thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the presentation question

Post Thanks / Like

So when "drifting" with vertical jigging, do you guys just leave the jig do it's thing, or do you ever twitch your rod on occasion to give it more action?

Thanks again.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 65BR View Post
    So when "drifting" with vertical jigging, do you guys just leave the jig do it's thing, or do you ever twitch your rod on occasion to give it more action?

Thanks again.
    The answer I've mostly heard to that question is :

"Try both ways & let the fish tell you how they want it."

Sometimes, even when casting, my partners & I will pop the rod tip a time or two on the jig's way up ... and we've caught fish doing so, and not doing so. We haven't really taken the time to judge whether or not it always makes a difference. My partners do it more than I do, but if they're catching and I'm not ... I start doing it too !! It doesn't seem to turn the fish off from biting, so I'd say give it a try, now & then, and see if it trips their trigger.
    Likes fiveeyes, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of solid information in the responses. I've tried 4 lbs floro, 4 lbs mono clear, 6 lbs mono hi-vis, 8 lbs mono clear. My favorite is 8 lbs mono clear. I troll, drift and drag a lot. I've found the 4 lbs lines too light. I handline only. Since I don't have the rod to absorb the pressure I've had to develop other methods for dealing with it. I run 8lb mono because it is strong, and I fish clear waters and it doesn't seem to change the bite at all. I also run furled leader as a snub to absorb the shock when fish hit.

Also there is always the chance I'll hit a catfish, and they'll pull the fly right off that 4 lbs stuff. The 8lbs mono plus the furled leader made from 8 to 15 lbs line does the trick for me. For handline fishing I run 20 lbs mono for the shank, 27 lbs leadcore line and 30 lbs hi-vis for the backing.

I don't run jigs; I tie flies. I stick with the colors of camouflage then add some kind of flash material. I always tip my flies with nightcrawlers or black soldier fly larvae.

Name:  Handline Trolling Rigsm.png
Views: 1624
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  BlackWarriorHandlineReeltop.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  145.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast