Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crappie fishing in ponds and at night

shane Guest

Default crappie fishing in ponds and at night

i need some tips on fishing crappie in ponds and ive always heard crappie fishing was good at night . is this true? if it is please give me some pointers. thanks shane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shane
    i need some tips on fishing crappie in ponds and ive always heard crappie fishing was good at night . is this true? if it is please give me some pointers. thanks shane
    Do you plan to fish for crappie in a pond at night?Or are you asking two questions?Dont know much about ponds but could give you advice on night fishing...E.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished my uncles ponds many times day and night. He has stocked them with crappie, bass and catfish. Don't know about other ponds but the dang catfish will bite a jig in these ponds more often than the crappie. Some big catfish too. Hassle to get them off and throw em back in.

Night fishing on these particular ponds, the snakes were an issue. Lot's of snakes. Enough to keep me from doing it very often.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

fishing ponds is about like fishing lakes, find the cover and you'll find the crappie. we've got 8 or 9 christmas tree piles, with about 4 or 5 trees in each one, in our pond. the crappie are just crammed in them. i just fish with jigs all around these piles, and even on terrible days i'll catch quite a few fish(usually a cat or two as well). if you don't know if the pond your fishing has structure, i'd ask the owner about sinking some brush. it won't take very long for the crappie to gather, especially with the spawn just around the corner.
    don't know much about night fishing but a lot of guys on here do. you might want to use the search option as i think this topic comes up quite often. hope this helps.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

I bet the snakes are an issue in the summer.Moccasins are curious by nature anyway.And not too nice a creature to have lay up next to you on the bank all quiet and sneaky.Most snakes dont bother me but the cottonmouth is a scary snake.Even Steve Erwin the crocodile hunter names it as his most feared snake in the world.Theres a lot of 'em around the ponds here in the south.You see them while gigging frogs a lot.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to catch more crappie in ponds by using a floater, and in lakes by going without. I dont know why that is and might only be true in the few ponds I've fished. I also seem to catch more on hair jigs in ponds and tube jigs in the lakes. Night fishing I prefer live bait, day fishing I use jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    I bet the snakes are an issue in the summer.Moccasins are curious by nature anyway.And not too nice a creature to have lay up next to you on the bank all quiet and sneaky.Most snakes dont bother me but the cottonmouth is a scary snake.Even Steve Erwin the crocodile hunter names it as his most feared snake in the world.Theres a lot of 'em around the ponds here in the south.You see them while gigging frogs a lot.
    Actually the last time I fished this pond I caught a fat cotton mouth. I carried it at rod length to my uncles barn and he chopped it's head off. The thing gave off an awful smell too.

I'm not keen on snakes.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

cottonmouths do have a terrible smell, very venomous

Post Thanks / Like

Well now you guys have scared me to death with this talk about snakes!
    You can give me two monstrous fat, and out of shape heavyweights slugging
    it out in the ring, and I have no problem being brave - but snakes,
    "I would rather not!"

Gloves up!
    Rick.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

the snakes swim around my boat at night. I hit them with the paddle. scary things if they get in the boat

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast