PDA

View Full Version : crappie fishing in ponds and at night

shane
01-17-2005, 07:49 AM
i need some tips on fishing crappie in ponds and ive always heard crappie fishing was good at night . is this true? if it is please give me some pointers. thanks shane

big "E"
01-17-2005, 02:13 PM
i need some tips on fishing crappie in ponds and ive always heard crappie fishing was good at night . is this true? if it is please give me some pointers. thanks shane
Do you plan to fish for crappie in a pond at night?Or are you asking two questions?Dont know much about ponds but could give you advice on night fishing...E.

Hoot
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Fished my uncles ponds many times day and night. He has stocked them with crappie, bass and catfish. Don't know about other ponds but the dang catfish will bite a jig in these ponds more often than the crappie. Some big catfish too. Hassle to get them off and throw em back in.

Night fishing on these particular ponds, the snakes were an issue. Lot's of snakes. Enough to keep me from doing it very often.

adamr
01-17-2005, 03:02 PM
fishing ponds is about like fishing lakes, find the cover and you'll find the crappie. we've got 8 or 9 christmas tree piles, with about 4 or 5 trees in each one, in our pond. the crappie are just crammed in them. i just fish with jigs all around these piles, and even on terrible days i'll catch quite a few fish(usually a cat or two as well). if you don't know if the pond your fishing has structure, i'd ask the owner about sinking some brush. it won't take very long for the crappie to gather, especially with the spawn just around the corner.
don't know much about night fishing but a lot of guys on here do. you might want to use the search option as i think this topic comes up quite often. hope this helps.

big "E"
01-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I bet the snakes are an issue in the summer.Moccasins are curious by nature anyway.And not too nice a creature to have lay up next to you on the bank all quiet and sneaky.Most snakes dont bother me but the cottonmouth is a scary snake.Even Steve Erwin the crocodile hunter names it as his most feared snake in the world.Theres a lot of 'em around the ponds here in the south.You see them while gigging frogs a lot.

crappieseeker
01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
I seem to catch more crappie in ponds by using a floater, and in lakes by going without. I dont know why that is and might only be true in the few ponds I've fished. I also seem to catch more on hair jigs in ponds and tube jigs in the lakes. Night fishing I prefer live bait, day fishing I use jigs.

Hoot
01-17-2005, 05:41 PM
I bet the snakes are an issue in the summer.Moccasins are curious by nature anyway.And not too nice a creature to have lay up next to you on the bank all quiet and sneaky.Most snakes dont bother me but the cottonmouth is a scary snake.Even Steve Erwin the crocodile hunter names it as his most feared snake in the world.Theres a lot of 'em around the ponds here in the south.You see them while gigging frogs a lot.

Actually the last time I fished this pond I caught a fat cotton mouth. I carried it at rod length to my uncles barn and he chopped it's head off. The thing gave off an awful smell too.

I'm not keen on snakes.

crappieseeker
01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
cottonmouths do have a terrible smell, very venomous

Cincinnati
01-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Well now you guys have scared me to death with this talk about snakes!
You can give me two monstrous fat, and out of shape heavyweights slugging
it out in the ring, and I have no problem being brave - but snakes,
"I would rather not!"

Gloves up!
Rick.

FalconSmitty
01-18-2005, 12:14 AM
the snakes swim around my boat at night. I hit them with the paddle. scary things if they get in the boat

hawkman
01-18-2005, 09:54 PM
One pond I fish I catch a lot of crappie on a Mepps Comet, the one with the fake minnoe on it.

Bruce Carp
01-19-2005, 11:12 AM
adamr offers some fine advice on pond fishing. find the brush piles and catch fish with a float. especially with some wind. fish just above the brush. seldom catch a catfish this method. only fish during the day on ponds, stay away from the water snakes and cottonmouth snakes. can't tell the difference in th dark.

shane
01-19-2005, 01:27 PM
i appreciate all the helpful advise, even about the snakes..they reall dont bother me but i dont think i want one in the boat in the dark lol. i have heard of folks using lights in the water at night to attract the fish.. anyone done that ? i fish all the time , just didnt want to come off sounding naieve. just never had much luck with crappie. thanks again for the suggestions.. as soon as it quite snowing here in clayton north carolina ill give em a try... later shane

Moose1am
01-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Shane:

I grew up fishing for Crappie at night off the end of a dock. The dock owner sank brush at the end of the dock. There were dusk to dawn lights on the dock and the crappie would come in to the water near the dock at night. We caught many a big crappie off that old dock back in 1960. Often many of the patrons of the resort would come down to the dock and fish for a few hours at night. It was one big party. I was only about 8 years old back then but I still remember that like it was just yesterday. It was a lot of fun. We used minnows and Braided fishing line with a plastic float that clipped onto the line. We used the Kentucky Lake Crappie rig and 10 to 14ft long cane poles (Bamboo). The hooks were soft gold and #2 size.

These days the only night fishing I have done was at the launch ramp with two coleman lanterns lighting up the general area. I have seen others fishing at night using coleman lanterns but they were fishing for catfish. I tried using underwater lights a few times but I was not setting up right or in the right spot. I am still new to the night fishing scene and learning from the other guys in here that do this more often.

Lights will attrack the bugs and that is said to attrack the small fish and they in turn are suppose to attrack the crappie. It was a lot easier fishing off the dock than it is fishing in a boat at night.

Next summer I am going to be prepared to do more night fishing. I have my underwater lights Two kinds Green light and Quarts Starfire II. And I have two coleman lanterns now. I build a lantern holder for my boat that will hold a coleman lantern out over the water. I will use that when I fish alone and it mounts on the back bass seat of my boat. Someday I will get a digital camera and start posting pictures of these PVC contraptions that I have been making.

i appreciate all the helpful advise, even about the snakes..they reall dont bother me but i dont think i want one in the boat in the dark lol. i have heard of folks using lights in the water at night to attract the fish.. anyone done that ? i fish all the time , just didnt want to come off sounding naieve. just never had much luck with crappie. thanks again for the suggestions.. as soon as it quite snowing here in clayton north carolina ill give em a try... later shane

JimmyS
01-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Hello Boxingref rick, Good to hear from you again, Where you been? Hope catching lots of fish. Good luck to you. Jimmy S.

GABoy
01-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Yes, when fishing at night I always use lights......actually 3 of them.....

I have 2 that you submerge in the water and lower to the appropriate depth....but, you have to have some cigarette outlets to plug them into or have alligator clips and a spare battery to run them off......

Anyhow, drop them to about 3 - 4 ft......maybe a little lower below the surface, and I have a third one which is a coleman lantern that I hang over the middle of the boat....which just as another member said attracts the bugs.....once the bugs appear....that is a good sign....because that attracts the baitfish.....and the bait fish attract the crappie.....

Night fishing can be a lot of fun if you pic a good location!!! Otherwise, it can be a long night.....and be prepare for flurries of action......it doesn't all happen at once..

FalconSmitty
01-20-2005, 12:30 AM
I have never fished a pond or lake with lights. I always fish the river. At night I fish the bridges and channels in sight of the dam(any lake). I use 4 lights. 2 green about 5'-15' below the boat. 1 floating sealed beam white and 1 - 25w 12v bulb on the end of some pvc above my head so the light doesn't bother my vision. I have some lanterns but since the fire of 2002 I just use them on the bank. One trolling battery will run them all night. I fish at night during cold weather. I know the bugs help but in the winter we have few bugs. If the minnows or shad show up the crappie do too. I have caught crappie without a baitfish in sight all night but when the shad school bingo it is fish on all night.

shane
01-20-2005, 06:52 AM
where do you get the submergeable lights? or is it something you made? thanks shane

Bruce Carp
01-20-2005, 09:24 AM
most tackle stores carry them, if not order from bass pro, cabelas or other sporting goods stores. good luck.

GABoy
01-20-2005, 06:00 PM
I see them at most tackle stores that sell minnows as well....and there are some different types....there are some that you need to add weight to on the bottom to get to stay down, and there are some called "Starlites"......maybe that is how you spell it that require no additional weight, they just sink automatically....I would recommend those over the other type.

GABoy
01-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Sorry, it is actually called, "Starfire"

Here is the link on BassPro's site:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=45788&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

KARL
01-21-2005, 07:26 PM
something that i've found that works well, use a 12v to 115v converter on a seperate deep-cycle battery and rig up some 15-25w flouresecent screw in lights into a reflector clip-on holder...puts light where you want it without glare.....also you can run some of those rope lights on boat..great low light enabling you to light up boat for several people without glare...tight lines and good fishing to all.......... :D :cool: ;)

CrappiePappy
01-22-2005, 02:16 AM
are you suggesting that we "Pimp out" our boats with those 12V "neon" lights (like those used under/inside cars) .... LOL!! Whooo boy, I can see it now :p !!! ----- just kidding with you, dude. They actually would work, much the same as the "Blacklight" systems. Actually, I believe someone suggested, in a past post, using them in neon green (chartreuse), in place of the more expensive "Green light" submersibles. I don't know if they are "waterproof", so as to be submersed ... but, they have to be "water resistant", or else they would blow out every time they were used on wet roads or when it was raining. ..........cp :cool:

KARL
01-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Pimp'n aint easy.. :p no,the rope lights I'm talking about are the type people put on decks or for christmas lights--115v. type--not meant to put in water..just for some light on boat for riggin rods and adult beverages ---keeps from having hot laterns on or around boat...another plus is you can plug in your disco ball--now thats some serious pimp'n----quote The Godfather...pimp some more...lol :D :cool: ps. don't worry about my feelings--had them surgically removed in USAF....ha ha.. :D

CrappiePappy
01-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I know whatcha mean, man !! After Army basic training, at Fort Knox in 1968, I thought my "real" name WAS Private Yardbird :D

Glad to have you aboard .... looking forward to more of your insights. ...cp

KARL
01-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Must be dense, not sure what that refers to--here in NC that refers to the Oh so tasty chicken...On the menu today during football... If 'n I can chip the ice off the grill :D ---using the beer can method of grillin' ....Don't know how much insight I'll bring to this crew---seems like some pretty sharp, savvy men and women!!!Seems like as I get older my best sight is hindsight..lol :D
Thanks for the welcome and kind words crappiepappy...will try to help whenever I can...tightlines and good luck to all...and to all those folks covered up in snow stay warm and hope the thaw-out goes well.. :cool:

CrappiePappy
01-23-2005, 09:46 PM
"Yardbird" was just one of the "derogatory" or "insult" titles that Drill Sgt's liked to throw at the recruits to break down their will to remain individuals.

Yeah, we've got some sharp members, who know their stuff. But, everyone contributes in their own way ... even if it's just by asking a question and getting a thread started. ...........luck2ya ...........cp :cool: