Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: whered they go

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down whered they go

Caught 2 limits 2 weeks ago before a cold night +6degrees, went back a week later fished piles between 21ft and 34ft. the shad and crappie had disappeared. caught 6 shorts all day Where The sam hill did they go?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This time of year I used to find em deep in timber, or shallow near blow downs and other wood. Good luck finding them.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

thanks skeetbum, I may fished too deep, I forgot they move up when the water cools to upper 30s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ozarks ranger View Post
    thanks skeetbum, I may fished too deep, I forgot they move up when the water cools to upper 30s
    move up where - close to the bank or up higher in the water column?
    Retired golf addict

Post Thanks / Like

They may have still been there, a big cold front will shut them down. When this happens, I search for bait, then fish as small as I can, as slow as I can.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about Missouri, but in Alabama they are higher in the column and associate with underwater structure, ledges, and laydowns. Or, maybe they went to bed early waiting for Santa Good luck. You will find them.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all Yes in Missouri they move up in the water column, That gives me a clue to go dock shooting the ones I have located with brush. you can fish them from a couple of feet to the bottom which may be as deep as 40 ft. Merry Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

here its a coin toss when the temps chill a bunch quickly ....but our water aint that cold .....some of our fish go shallow for the winter and some go deep and some go up creeks at night and go back to the lake at sun up ....some suspend as well ....kinda tricky ,I avoid it by moving to the traditional patterns I know on the various water bodies in my area ....good luck finding them .....rascals they are I swear .....
    most of our lakes have a really good deep dock winter bite as well when its really cold .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all, I went today the shad moved to outside the brush suspended from 18 to 21 and some went as deep as 45/50ft. caught 30 shorts 5 good keepers 10in. length limit and I broke off a 15 to16 incher trying to get the net untangled 2lb test line. very lite bite jig would quit sinking,line goes slack, or just weight on line slooow retrieve. water temp 41/43 degrees.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent. Catching 30 fish is great, even shorts that go back for another day. That big one will be waiting for you. Thanks for sharing.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!