Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into panfishing

cexshun Guest

Default Getting back into panfishing

Some history first, growing up I used to always fish with my dad and grandfather. Got married a couple of years ago and moved away. Haven't been fishing in a couple of years. I want to get back into it, and the more I look into it, the more I realize that we were always panfishing, just using general purpose equipment. All of the lakes around where I live are crappie, blues, and a handful of small mouth.

So, a new BPS opened in my area. Very exciting. I've also recently won an award at work with the prize being a $250 gift certificate to BPS. All of my old equipment has been thrown out by my parents due to rot and general un-use, so I need to replenish everything. Here's what I've come up with using my BPS gift certificate to rebuild a specialized crappie rig. It's been a while and I've never bought specialty equipment. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I have absolutely 0 equipment right now. I'll be fishing dock/bank with a very very rare boat rental.

Bass Pro Shops® Wally Marshall Mighty Lite Rods - 7'
    Bass Pro Shops® Wally Marshall® Pro Series Spinning Reels - Model WMP25
    Bass Pro Shops® Mr. Crappie® Line - Super Vis - 4 lb.
    Betts® Mr. Crappie® Slippers™ - 1.5" - Weighted
    Betts® Mr. Crappie® Slippers™ - 2" - Weighted
    Bass Pro Shops® 50-Piece Ball Bearing Swivel Assortment
    Bass Pro Shops® 455-Piece Crappie Kit(jigs and tubes kit)
    Blakemore® 66-Piece Wally Marshall Kit(roadrunner kit)
    Plano® - 7271 Rack System Tackle Box
    Kershaw® Fillet Knife - 7" Blade
    Various hooks(4,6,8) and snapshots
    Strike King® Fisherman's Tool
    No battery, floating shake-up flashlight

I figure every tackle box needs a flashlight and some type of leatherman style tool. I'm not sure if I want the snap swivels or not. I always used them as a kid for convenience, but I worry they make spook the fish and add unnecessary weight to the light fishing tackle.

Thanks for any advice and/or insight.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you, I'd give up the snap swivels. I've found that they distract from the presentation you are trying to make. I've always caught more fish w/o snap swivels than with.

I've been doing a lot of dock fishing the last few weeks, and I'm reminded that you'll appriciate a shorter rod when on the docks. I'd go with a 5-5.5 ft rod for dock fishing. And I'd get one that is ultra light power (1-6 lb line) with fast action (stiff, so the bite does not get absorbed in the rod). But for the bank fishing, the 7 ft rod is perfect. It will help you cast farther and help with hook sets when you have a lot of line out. Bottom line: I would get 2 rods and reels if possible. The 5 ft rod can have a cheap reel, 'cause you're mostly going to be vertical jigging on the docks, and all you need the reel to do is bring the fish in. If you go with 2 different reels, put the better one on the 7 ft rod since you'll be casting it more.

Also, at least for your dock fishing, I'd use a line with minimal stretch. This helps you feel when the bite is light. My personal favorite is Slver Thread's AN40 copolymer. I prefer low vis green, but I know many people like the high vis.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Default One more thing

I agree with all said above I also fish from the bank and use a 7fter. I just got a 10fter for valentines and let me tell you i love it. I cast even further and it is very sensitive. The only problem comes when I have to land the fish but this can be resolved with a net. If you are bank fishing and need to get out futher but dont want to use a heavier jig get a 10fter

And welcome aboard God bless
    Love, what more can I say

cexshun Guest

Ok then, add on a 5' Ugly Stick and a Shimano Sahara. Step down to a Zebco® Bill Dance for the dock rod. So, the 2 setups would be:

7' Wally Marshall + Shimano
    5' Ugly Stick + Zebco

You think 4lb reel capacity is adequate, or should I jump to the 6lb?
    Last edited by cexshun; 02-22-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find an Ugly Stick that is stiff/fast, yes. But most of them are too flexible for vertical jigging when the bite is light. I was in Academy Sports earlier this week and they had Shakespear (but not Ugly Stick), Shimano, and Quantum rods all with fast action in the $20 range.

4lb reel capacity should be fine for the dock rod. You may want a slightly bigger spool for the bank rod. Either way, I'd use 6lb line on both. With the AN40 line I mentioned earlier, I was able to bump up to 8lb and still have a diameter of less than .010.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

cexshun Guest

Ha. Now you're talking about rods way over my price range.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there are some things I refuse to skimp on when it comes to crappie fishing. My fly rod is one of those things. My dock rod is not. As long as it has the characteristics I want, I couldn't care less about the price or logo. As long as I don't think it's taking fish out of my bucket, it's good enough.

cexshun Guest

Sadly, I don't have the flexibility to be able to shop around. The gift certificate is for BPS, so my choices are limited to what they carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, just pick up a few different 5 footers at BPS, give them a shake, and if it seems pretty stiff look at the shaft and make sure it says 1-6lb line and lure wt at least down to 1/32, but preferably 1/64. Anything other than that is just bonus points in my opinion.

Here's one you might give a few shakes next time you're in BPS:
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    It's the Berkley Lightning series. Says they're fast action and light wt. And they're on clearance too!
    Last edited by DC Crappie Kid; 02-22-2007 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most of what was said but remember the rod is only as good as the fellow holding it I look at the rods and feel them if they feel good tell the salesperson you want something less expensive they're pretty good to help you and relax and have a blast I catch just as many crappie on my old 14$ breambuster as I do my other stuff you got to get comfortable with what you use I think thats the main thing IMO
    MY Daughter My Sailor My Hero
    God bless Them All

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast