HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pond Toon Boats, pros and cons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pond Toon Boats, pros and cons

I know of a Senior gentleman who might be interested in one of these. Any and all comments would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Pescador
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!

Post Thanks / Like

I have both pontoon and bass boat but prefer to use the pontoon for crappie fishing and it works great pulling and pushing crank baits, spider rigging, and tight lining. The disadvantage is speed (16 mph) and transport for me, so keep my pontoon at the dock from April thru Nov. and use the bass boat when I want to go to another lake.

Mike
    Likes pescador, dbeam, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes hard to put on the trailer, if there is any cross wind it's really hard. You will need a big trolling motor. Your main motor will use more gas that a regular boat. They catch a lot of wind out on the lake, hard to fish them like that. I don't know for sure but, I would guess insurance would be higher. Pulling a pontoon around to different lakes is a little more trouble than a regular boat.
    Likes pescador LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

He is thinking maybe a 16 footer.
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!
    Likes MojaveJ LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole has a smaller built Pond Toon that has more mods on it than any other I've ever seen, and he loves it. As with any pontoon they have their drawbacks, but then not everyone likes my bass boat either.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

They catch a lot of wind, blow around easy. A deck boat would be more fishing friendly, in my opinion. Same layout but with a traditional mod-v hull.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536
    Likes blueball, Cane Pole, pescador LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Ranger bass boat for about 5 years, then switched over to my pontoon which I have been crappie & cat fishing out of now for the last 7 years. Everything that has been said above is correct. The only thing that I miss about my bass boat is the speed, my toon gets about 15 mph maybe 17 if the wind is pushing me, it's a 28 footer so the size and wind issues are quite a bit more to deal with than on a 16 ft. If you are on water that gets white caps and swell's you should be looking at least a 22' boat I have seen a few 20' and less get really messed up in 18" to 24" swells which you will sooner or later get into if you go out enough. I do not trailer do to the size but that has proven for me to be a good thing since I get more fishing time on the water, when ever I'm ready to go I go and no issues about loading or un-loading. The main thing here is comfort, the pontoon will be much more enjoyable and much easier to get around in, which was the main reason I gave up my bass boat. As for trolling motor I'm running a 36 volt 115 thrust which has done everything that I have needed even in big wind.
    Hope this helps.
    Likes skeetbum, pescador, crappie flash, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All the above i agree with also but, i have just finished redoing a 20' toon from the floor up,been out in it 3 to 4 times but to me more walking around on the toon is better for me,just got to get it riged out,i really think i will like the toon better than a bass boat,i have had 3 or 4 bass boats and yes the speed is good but i can't get along like i use to, know what i mean........JMO

White Crappie or Black Crappie

Likes pescador, crappie flash, Ferdi, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey fellas, he's talking about the minitoon or Pondtoon. Nowhere near as big or difficult to trailer and maneuver as a regular pontoon. Most have 25HP or less so speed was never a consideration.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes pescador LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    They catch a lot of wind, blow around easy. A deck boat would be more fishing friendly, in my opinion. Same layout but with a traditional mod-v hull.
    Mine dont ketch much wind. It no have side panels either. Sets in the water like a bass boat. My pondtoon is more of a tunnel hull than a pontoon. I also flood the hull wen at rest. Stable. I need stable.

I dont git out in typhoons or monsoons with it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast