Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pushing crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing crankbaits

I have trolled for 20 years everything from minnow rigs to jigs to roadrunners but never crankbaits. I get more time in summer to fish now and want to start pushing cranks. I have seen several ways from a 1-5 oz weight and different leaders. I need help on how and what I need to have to do this any help will be greatly appreciated. Would rather push than pull thanks the more details the better. I fish in Mississippi

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can only tell ya what I do, and what my buds do :

My buddy's method:
    14 to 20ft rods - line counter reels - 30lb test braid main line - 2oz trolling weight - swivel - 5ft mono leader of 6lb test - duo-lock snap - crank ... @ 1.8mph via 24v trolling motor & electronics with map cards (for following contours).

My method:
    14ft rods - baitcast reels - braid or heavy mono - 1/2 to 3/4oz barrel sinker - large plastic bead - duo-lock snap - 3-5ft mono leader of 6lb test - duo-lock snap - crank ... @ 0.8-1.2mph via 12v trolling motor & Down Image unit (w/o map card).

But, just to be clear ... I have very little personal experience (in my boat) with pushing cranks, and am limited by my trolling motor & electronics. But, I have caught Crappie with my method, and I'm hoping to expand my use of it next year. Most of my "pushing" is done with jigs.

I can't elaborate on how my buds determine the depth of their cranks, because they never told me, but I'm sure others will when they reply & give you their methods.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with his buddy's method. I use 2oz trolling weights and the three way swivel has a split ring and duo lock snap so the weight can be changed easier. Stiffer rods to handle the weight are used. I use shorter rods than mentioned, mostly cause I'm too cheap to buy them. My presentation is more of a 45* angle instead of straight out the front. Best part is that you can turn on a dime with the shorter rigs. I used to push 4 while my buddy in the back pulled 6, and we were both busy. I used yellow braid and beginning at 10' I would magic marker a dot every 2' so I could control the depth. Backreeling a spinning reel would also work to get you started but the baitcasters cut down on the line twist.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Depth chart for pushing.....I use a three oz weight.....adjust speed to keep line no more than a 45 degree angle.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Oops, here is the depth chart Name:  Screenshot_2015-05-30-08-04-55_resized.png
Views: 4213
Size:  128.4 KB
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't want to invest in a ton of extra poles, etc. to start pulling cranks so I went to the "pushing" method as well. Most of the time I am pushing minnows/jigs but during the summer I also like to switch to crankbaits sometimes. My setup includes all 14ft Ozark rods and have had no issues with their trolling rods handling the extra weight. I mainly use 3oz weights (bought from ScottV on this site). As far as speed I really just vary it depending on what seems to be working, anywhere from 0.9-1.6...just a lot of guessing on my part really since I am still pretty new to the crankbait scene. I have fished with other guys that use the pulling method but with my boat setup and equipment I just push when using crankbaits. Hope that helps a little.

Post Thanks / Like

I use some 14 foot glass poles with 2 oz weights and Arkie 220 series cranks. I use the 45 degree method as well. Speed varies from .7 up to 1.8. As you can see here, lots of variables. I think the main thing is to make sure your poles can withstand the pressure of pushing.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Arkie 350s and 220s They both come in these colors Name:  ALL Cranks.jpg
Views: 3317
Size:  134.5 KB
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

planning on trying this next year. have trolled out back but not pushing. what are pro's and con's of pushing against pulling? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Can make tighter turns......can run any kind of crankbait even rattletraps because depth is controled by the three oz weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk 2
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast