Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FULL MOON and team SKetchn

Post Thanks / Like

Default FULL MOON and team SKetchn

Those that enjoy my posts and follow what I do know I try a lot of things to ketch crappie that are not in the traditional methods to ketch them . I am sure somewhere others probably do similar things in some cases and maybe not it others . So here I go off to ketch them under lighted floats in December on the mighty Trinity river in downtown Ft.Worth.
    My bud has found good numbers in one of the spots that I hit and swears they fish get larger as it gets darker . now mind you we have hit them until dark there a few times and I told him if that's the case lets get some "beacons" and put them on some pinch on floats and stay well into the night and see what we shall see .......
    Well to make a long story short yawl we flat out slayed the fire out of some slab crappie down there . Don't know how many large fish we lost , but I do know we landed probably at least 50 over 12 inches and had a ridiculous fun time with them . We release fish down there as the state warns against consumption in that area and we did have a beaver that was NOT with our intrusion into his realm in the dark .....I did ketch a couple of black bass and a white bass and a blue cat as well .....one of them bass was pretty large ....
    and let me say this ....you want to shut fish down for about 20 or 30 minutes just have a beaver swim up to your float and do a monster tail slap splash ....makes em stop like they hit a wall I tell ya ....
    he only did it twice though and at some point gave up and went on and let us have at em . We set out jigs 6 foot under our floats and played the watch it get gone program . Lots of fish took it so hard they set the hook on them selves and many fish don't make it to the bank due to the long time you crank on em to get em back to ya at about 100 foot away .
    I lost one that about made me cry right at the bank , would a swore it wasn't a crappie till I saw it get off in his head lamp . I was following it upstream telling him it aint a crappie but it is big and then its at the bank and is gone and we both went ....WOW was that a big crappie or what ....
    the fish were patrolling a drop off on the opposite side of the river from us and were rather steady from about 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm .....a crappie nibble on the hook point is a MUST or you wont get bit and that's for sure . Colors seem somewhat optional and I used plastics and he used feather jigs ...my wrist and shoulder hurt and both of us were pretty cold when it was all said and done .....
    until my next foray hope you enjoy the read and photos
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Nice crappie.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish.

Regards

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write up......
    Excellent pics......
    Excellent from the bank feesh.....
    Yeap all excellent my friend.....

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool,nice catch!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish, good trip.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking fish, sad that the water quality is such that you shouldn't eat them.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW Ketchn those are some awesome crappie! what a experience and you are in downtown FT Worth! amazing night and where I fish it seems it tails off towards dark so we havn't tried after it gets dark but rethinking that at this moment. enjoyed the article and pics, you and your bud have your hands full with those. can't imagine how big the one was you lost!

Post Thanks / Like

as I am skeptical of anything from the state, think I would have to fillet those but that's just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast