PDA

View Full Version : Bad News on OptiMax!?!?!

IwishIdid
02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Took my rig to the shop for a pre tournament check up. Got the dreaded phone call about my motor. Said #6 was 15 p.s.i lower on compression than the rest. Said it was just a matter of time before catastrophic failure. So what to do? I told them to put the plug back in 'er, I have to have it. I don't know what to do. $2500.00 to $3000.00 to repair or go on and drop $10000.00 on a trade. Its a 2002 225 Opti with 223 hours on it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I can see many sleepless nights ahead! Motor has been fairly, if not the most reliable one I've owned. Just my luck I paid the boat off MONDAY!

Jerry Blake
02-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I would get a second opinion and see if you get the same results and then go from their.

If you decide to get a new motor I would highly recommend a Suzuki Four Stroke. I have over 600 hours on mine without a lick of trouble. A Marine Dealer here that sells Suzuki and other brands and works on all of them told me he services several Suzuki motors that are in rental fleets with over 6,000 hours on them and they've never had to put a wrench to them other than oil changes and maintenance.

TAE73
02-21-2007, 10:43 PM
I would also make a phone call to mercury, just because its out of warrenty they still might be willing to help, its worth a try.

Minnerman
02-21-2007, 10:50 PM
My dad's yamaha blew up just after the warranty went out. The dealer he bought the boat from called them and they personally came down and rebuilt his and gave him another years worth of warranty. Like TAE73 said. either call them or have your dealer to call them.........tell'em you gonna get a Yamaha or Suzuki and you're going talk bad bout theirs and they might help out.

Razorback Crappie
02-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Call Mercury!!!!! They'll help you for sure. If you really wanna get under their skin, tell 'em when you bought the Mercury, you were first considering an e-tec (evinrude) but felt just "more comfortable" purchasing a Mercury. If they don't help right off, ask to speak to supervisors until you get one that will offer you some relief. Worst case scenerio, bite the bullet and get the e-tec.

Vince Gray
02-21-2007, 11:05 PM
There is a place called Brooks Marine in Bauxite Ar. they are a complete marine machine shop, and they do good work. about three years back I burnt up a piston on a 90 evenrude andf they rebuilt the power head reasonable, I was quite pleased.

J White
02-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Seems like I remember hearing something about a class-action suit
against Merc for the 2000'ish big block Opti's - not sure the details,
but I think they settled with a lot of people.

Wiskers
02-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Seems like I remember hearing something about a class-action suit
against Merc for the 2000'ish big block Opti's - not sure the details,
but I think they settled with a lot of people.
I believe I remember hearing something about that also. Might just be worth looking into. :cool:

FishnLine
02-22-2007, 08:07 AM
As Andy Griffith would say "Just call the man!" :D

FisherMike
02-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Could be nothing more then a blown head gasket or exhaust gasket. I think it's a little premature to panic. Has it ever been overheated? That will definitely cause a gasket problem. Even if it hasn't been I'd do some checking on the gasket.
Really you don't want to be running it if there is a problem though. That, could really lead to serious damage.

PanMan_VA
02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
You need to figure out why that cylinder is low on compression (damaged cylinder wall, bad piston ring, leaking head gasket, etc.) and determine options to repair it from there.

Barnacle Bill
02-22-2007, 11:12 AM
The first thing you need to do is have the compression checked by someone else. If in fact it is 15lb lower than the rest does NOT mean its headed for catastrophic failure. If that was the case probably half the motors you see running should be blowing up. I would be curious to know the readings on all the cylinders.

IwishIdid
02-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Talked to Mercury today, the rep said 15 pounds is NOT that much of a difference, especially on a cold engine. He said to have the dealer power tune the engine and re check comp. Sounded like carbon deposits causing a sticking ring. Took it to different shop to have this done, and dealer was more than happy to do it on the spot, he laughed when I told him my earlier prognosis. Had a E-Tec there with "similar" problems. Turns out it was a friends boat that had been run in a similar matter as mine. Idling, and a bunch of it. Reelfoot is good for that. Put the power tune to it, stuck her in the water, and bingo, smooth power and full rpms. Dealer said to put my truck in neutral and he'd shove my a@! up the ramp! Thanks for all the replies and info, I'll keep yall posted on how it continues to perform. Thanks again!

CrappieHound
02-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Wooo...I had a big sigh of relief from your last post. Glad to hear everything turned out okay.

TAE73
02-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes idling a 2 stroke high horsepower motor is not a good thing to do on it. Glad to hear everything is good to go.

IwishIdid
02-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Well I don't know if shes good to go or not, but I sure feel a little better. Although I was starting to visualize that new 300 HPDI hanging off the back. Then wham! Snap back to financial realities!! Thanks once again for all the positive thinking on this site

LIL' Joe
02-23-2007, 06:43 AM
I was wondering about the 15psi. I believe the last time I checked, car motor cylinders should be within 10psi of each other.

FisherMike
02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
The way I've got it is, the cylinders should run within 15% of one another.

Larry-Southern Indiana
02-23-2007, 05:59 PM
and carbon buildup won't be much of a problem. I have a 2000 EFI Mercury and it's clean as can be. You need to run seafoam in 4-strokes as well. I do on our pontoon which has a 115 Suzuki. 170 hours in 2 seasons and not one problem. Great motor like the Mercury. I don't run the livin crap out of either one. 4-strokes are sweet motors for poking around all day and good on gas. The EFI likes it even going slow.

Larry

Took my rig to the shop for a pre tournament check up. Got the dreaded phone call about my motor. Said #6 was 15 p.s.i lower on compression than the rest. Said it was just a matter of time before catastrophic failure. So what to do? I told them to put the plug back in 'er, I have to have it. I don't know what to do. $2500.00 to $3000.00 to repair or go on and drop $10000.00 on a trade. Its a 2002 225 Opti with 223 hours on it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I can see many sleepless nights ahead! Motor has been fairly, if not the most reliable one I've owned. Just my luck I paid the boat off MONDAY!

possumcop
02-23-2007, 06:48 PM
I would call the nearest Yamaha dealer and ask him what he would give on trade.

crappieseeker
02-23-2007, 07:28 PM
My powerhead went out on my opti and it was almost right at 5 thousand. Thank goodness for warranties.

fiddlefarter
02-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Talked to Mercury today, the rep said 15 pounds is NOT that much of a difference, especially on a cold engine. He said to have the dealer power tune the engine and re check comp. Sounded like carbon deposits causing a sticking ring. Took it to different shop to have this done, and dealer was more than happy to do it on the spot, he laughed when I told him my earlier prognosis. Had a E-Tec there with "similar" problems. Turns out it was a friends boat that had been run in a similar matter as mine. Idling, and a bunch of it. Reelfoot is good for that. Put the power tune to it, stuck her in the water, and bingo, smooth power and full rpms. Dealer said to put my truck in neutral and he'd shove my a@! up the ramp! Thanks for all the replies and info, I'll keep yall posted on how it continues to perform. Thanks again!

Not many people know to regularly decarb their engine's with Power Tuner or Motor Tuner. This is a good example of why to do it yearly.