Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Holders

I want to build some rod holders for my 175 Tracker. I'm tired of them being piled up on the deck and tangling up. I can't put it on the left side where it would be the easiest and best place, because my wife and 84 year old fishing partner can not climb in from the front and have to get in from that side with a stool.
    Because of the curve of my boat the rods would have to to be way out the side of the boat in the front to clear the console and the Helix 10.If I move the rods back to the straighter part of the boat the rods will stick out the back several feet on the long ones.
    Do you guys have them sticking out the back and does it cause any trouble, other then walking into them when on the trailer?

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a set of driftmaster tip savers on the drivers side of my rig. My 1198 is mounted on a ram mount and I have one of the medium length arms on it so that it sticks straight up between my rods while they are laying in the holders. Sometimes I will turn the holders so the rods hang out over the side of the boat instead of inside it. There is a pretty good bend down the length of my rods due to the curve of the gunnel and I have had not problem. My tips stick past the transom as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  65.3 KBhad Hi-tek Scott Echols make these for me yes the rods are a little high, but clear the windshield, they don't hang over the side and it leaves the drivers side completely open. I've had as many as 14 rods on them and have traveled from Louisville KY to Ky lake with rods on them with no problems. Additional I've had rods from 6' to 14' on them, however 14'ers have to point to the back with the tips covered or tied together to keep them from banging around to much
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes crappie flash LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deltarat View Post
    I want to build some rod holders for my 175 Tracker. I'm tired of them being piled up on the deck and tangling up. I can't put it on the left side where it would be the easiest and best place, because my wife and 84 year old fishing partner can not climb in from the front and have to get in from that side with a stool.
    Because of the curve of my boat the rods would have to to be way out the side of the boat in the front to clear the console and the Helix 10.If I move the rods back to the straighter part of the boat the rods will stick out the back several feet on the long ones.
    Do you guys have them sticking out the back and does it cause any trouble, other then walking into them when on the trailer?
    I have the same boat with the same problem. I was looking at the driftmaster off set holders. I don't want to drill holes in the gunnels. Worried that if I purchase 16 ft rods they will stick way out the rear of the boat and not have enough support

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if the tracker has a track system in the gunnel or not. You would be able to make a bracket that fits in there and mount the driftmaster bases to it. You also need to get 2 packs of the tip savers so you have 3 total pieces. One is made for the reel end, then put one about mid length for the rod and then the one made for the tips. This will leave you with an extra support. Or you can probably order them direct from driftmaster and just get 3 pieces. I will get a picture for you all after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure the lengths you are willing to go. I caveat that I didn't do the work - I purchased the boat (Triton 1756) as you see it from another CDC member. IMO, the design was genius.

I store the rods across the holders when hauling the boat and just prior to putting in or using the outboard, I place the rods in the PVC.

These holders are stout - they don't budge when fishing.

Yep - my garage is a total chaotic mess.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    USAF Retired - 1988 - 2011

Likes S10CHEVY, crappie flash LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

HiTek is first class. Scott is excellent to work with. I believe you will be very happy.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Building the holders are not the problem.I do like seeing what other people have done. I was just wondering if people have problems with them hanging out the back of the boat several feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deltarat View Post
    Building the holders are not the problem.I do like seeing what other people have done. I was just wondering if people have problems with them hanging out the back of the boat several feet.
    when I have my 14' on they hang out about 4 or 5'. I use twist ties to tie the ends together to keep them from banging around in travel. Been doing it like that for 2 or 3 years haven't lost a rod yet.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 18 foot Ranger boat and my 14 foot rods stick out a couple of feet at the back. When I trailer the boat I wrap self stick Velcro straps around all the tips in a bundle to keep them from banging around as stated. It is just something you have to deal with when using this type of equipment.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast