Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 86 stratos suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default 86 stratos suggestions

hey guys i went on and bought and 86 stratos with a 70hp johnson. i feel i got a great deal on it but it does have a few probs. i was hoping for some suggestions befor taking it to the shop. 1st wont idle- planning on changing plugs and draining and cleaning gas tank i know it has old gas in it)
    2nd- probably same problem but its very hard to start. once you get it to start and get on it it runs really good i think. any suggestions would be appreciated. like i said i got it at a great price and knew the probs when i bought it but id love to get it running better without paying a mechanic.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Plugs will probably help the starting some (Champion L77JC4) I'd probably just siphon out the old fuel depending on how much is in the tank and use it for a bon fire or something. Then fill it up with fresh.

You probably want to decarb the motor with BRP (OMC) Motor Tuner (I'm a fan of this.) Go to a ERude/Johnny dealer and get a can of it and follow the directions on the can. I bet it's never been done before. Oh and wait till after you do it to put the new plugs in.

To explain what that it is: Its a spray can of stuff that you spray in the carb throats and let it sit like 12 hours and then run the crap out of it. It removes the carbon deposits built up on the inside of the motor. Good for it and easy to do, like I said follow directions on the can. Should do it every year. Do not do it on a driveway or in front of house, garage door, car, concrete driveway... anything important. It will blow out a lot of black crap

I'd definitely change the water pump impeller especially if its been sitting and it sounds like it has. It's made of rubber and it'll dry rot. Change lower unit oil If oil shows signs of water in it (white color) you'll want to change the seals.

If plugs don't make a huge difference you might have to rebuild the carbs. Not hard just get the kit from the dealer, a Seloc Manual, and do it.

Welcome to the world of boat ownership/maintenance:D
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks fiddlefarter ive got alot to learn im sure but i like to tinker abit. any good websites for boat maintinace or repair you know of?

Post Thanks / Like

Also make sure you use good oil if it is a 2 stroke. I was using cheap oil that caused my 85 Johnson 150GT run like crap. Went back to Quck Silver, and haven't had any problems.
    Joe

-----------------------------
    Still learning this crappie thing.
    -----------------------------

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I run BRP HD 50 oil in mine. Doesn't smoke as much.

I like http://bassboatcentral.com
    It has a good johnson/evinrude forum. Very good info on there
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.