Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ultra light rod and reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ultra light rod and reel

I am thinking about getting an ultra light rod and reel for dock shooting and casting jigs. What kind do you guys like?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a BnM Crappie Wizard 7.5" that is my main jig casting rod.
    I have an inexpensive reel on it now, but will be upgrading it this coming spring if I can find anything I like and can afford. I regularly spool 1# or 2# line and can cast a 1/64th oz jig with no problem.

For my taste it is a bit long to shoot docks so I use a 6' ultra-light from Cabella's that works well.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently using a Norsemen Outdoors ESP 6'6" PowerLite rod, with a Okuma Stratus STX20, spooled with 6lb test Vicious Panfish copolymer hi-viz line ... for both jig casting & dock shooting duties.

I say "currently" because I have had other reels on the rod, other brands & lb test line on those reels ... and even use to use UL rods/reels for both casting & shooting. I've just found a longer rod & bigger reel to be more efficient for my tastes. And having a rod with a fast action tip helps, as well. Prior to breaking it (operator error), my main dock shooting rod was a ESP 5'6" UL rod (matched with a UL Shakespeare reel/4lb test mono). I just combined duties for the ESP 6'6" PowerLite rod, once that happened, and haven't seen the need to re-purchase a shorter/lighter action rod.

I said "re-purchase", rather than "replace", because the ESP 5'6" UL rod was a pre-production rod (no branding/labeling) that was given to me by the designer as a field test rod ... so it can't be "replaced".
    My 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod is also a field test rod, but it's a post production rod that was given to me by the Designer/Marketing VP for field testing, after the ESP brand came under Norsemen Outdoors Inc.
    Likes jim8861 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Slab Daddy 4.5' Dock shooter for my short and a med/stiff 6.6' Shakespear Spinning rod for the longer. Both work great with Pflueger Trigger spinning reels.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice so far that I just want to expand on a little. This is just my preference on reel choice and why it works for me. Most UL rigs come with a tiny reel. While they do have a time and place, I find that when casting and shooting jigs, it's better to upsize just a little. I use 4lb hi vis line. I don't use anything any lighter because I'm heavy handed when I get a snag or something. Second is line memory. I find the small reels give the line a very tight coil and when trying to finesse tiny bait it works against you. My favorite rod is a 6'6" out of production Lightning Rod and a 2000 series Diawa Capricorn, also out of production. It does everything i ask it to do without effort. The bigger reel balances the rig better and the larger spool has a more relaxed memory to help with the flight of the light baits. I cast a jig, jig n cork, in line spinner or beetle spin, or shoot docks with the best of them. I went over the side to retrieve it when it fell overboard once, lost a phone, shades and soaked a camera in the process. But I got my rod back. Worth it. As you look for this, handle everything you can find and try not to be caught up in pre conceived ideas of what you want. I have found some really sweet rods in the bargain bin, and some excellent reels on clearance. Good luck in your search, there is a lot to choose from.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

My dockshooter is a 1000 series Shimano Sedona with a older model 5.5 BnM sharpshooter rod. I use 6 lb nanofil line and typically shoot a 1/16 plastics.