Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Custom Rod Building

Post Thanks / Like

Default Custom Rod Building

I've been thinking about building my own fishing rods. Searching the internet, I've watched many YouTube videos and read tutorials that tell you ho to assemble the various rod components and found various suppliers of said components and tools needed to build a custom rod.
    However, the one thing I haven't been able to get much detail on is, how do I choose the components to use?
    To be more specific;
    I've seen different styles of guides for different rod types. How will the choice of guides effect the rod's performance?
    How does guide placement effect the cast ability of the rod?
    How do I choose the correct blank for targeting fish species X using technique Y?
    What effect does the materials used to make the blank have on it's performance?
    What kind of thread is used to wrap the guides? Is it regular sewing thread or is it special in some way?

Can anybody point me to resources that can help me learn about the subtleties of making the right rod for an intended purpose?
    May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord show you his kindness and have mercy on you.
    May the Lord watch over you and give you peace.
    Numbers 6:24-26 (CSB)

Post Thanks / Like

Two good websites:

Rodbuilding.org :: rodboard

Custom Fishing Rod Building & Tackle Crafting Supply | MudHole.com

wicklundh (CDC member) is a builder. I'm sure he could help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a kit with a blank and the components all included to start. Get a feel for it, and go from there. Mudhole and Jans net craft are two that sell them. I've made serveral, and its fun and rewarding.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Mudhole makes some really good blanks and kits I built 4 of their rods and like all of them. then I went to st croix blanks, built 8 of their top of the line blanks, I have 2 more that I need to finish up, been sitting in my shop for over a year now.
    MudHole.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think I could write a book and still not get all the info out there. The best advice I could give is to shoot me a call and ask away! This way I don't miss any questions.

When it comes to custom, you have to remember that you can get way more specific and build your rods based on what you want it to do. Jigging rods use way more eyes to allow the line to follow the blank without punch points and allows the rid to do the work. The eyes are small because you are not casting with it.

For casting, you build rods with bigger stripper eyes to allow for the line coil to pass. Most production rods may use a 20mm where I would use a 30. Gives more distance.

For thread, the rod tying threads are built for specific reasons. Yes, you can use sewing thread. It is thinner however and without using a thread/color lock, the colors will bleed.

There are eyes for braid, eyes for fly line, titanium, and everything in between. I have a few favorites.

Send me a pm and I'll get you my number. I recommend the you tube videos from Get Bit outdoors and hosted by Capt Kevin Brotz.

Post Thanks / Like

wicklundrh,
    PM sent.

I watched the Get Bit Outdoors videos and several others. All the videos I've found deal with assembly of the components which doesn't appear to be complicated or difficult.
    It's the nuances of the different parts and how they effect the final product that I need more knowledge on.
    Browsing mudhole.com shows me that this will not be a cost saving venture but it does sound like an enjoyable one.
    I'll probably end up learning more about stripping rods in the beginning than anything else
    May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord show you his kindness and have mercy on you.
    May the Lord watch over you and give you peace.
    Numbers 6:24-26 (CSB)

Post Thanks / Like

Mudhole Tackle hosts several seminars around the country each year. They had one this year in Charlotte, NC which is about 100 miles from me. I wanted to go, but needed to spend the night instead of driving both days and I could not find anyone interested in going and splitting the cost of hotel and travel. Class is 2 days, around $150 and you come out with a finished rod that you built under their tutorage.
    I have visited their store in Florida and it is amazing the handiwork of those rod builders.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct in saying that, in some instances, it is not a cost saving venture. Many people go in to it with the thought process that they can build a St. Croix rod far cheaper than one can be purchased new in the store. Although this is true (when building for yourself) one thing I have learned to stay away from is the purchasing of blanks from any company that also produces rods for the consumer. In many instances, the blanks they sell are seconds and not as good in quality as to the ones that can be purchased off the shelf.

The companies to go with are the ones that build blanks only for the rod builder. These are rods that you cannot find on the shelf and really, the whole reason you want to get in to building custom rods. It is about getting something that you otherwise cannot get off the shelf.

I like to tell people this: try to go in to the store with a goal of what to look for in mind. Try to find that rod and see what you come up with. Unfortunately, there are just too many variables and good equipment out there for a company to manufacture a rod in all the different configurations. This is why custom building as its niche and custom builders continue to build rods. If I went into a store today and looked for a 7 ft, light weight slow action rod, chances are I cannot find one. This would be a fly rod. Next, try to get that with a 6 inch rear cork grip and a 4 inch front cork grip, graphite reel seat arbors, and recoil guide eyes. I cannot be done. Hence the reason for the custom scenario. It gives the builder the opportunity to build a rod that is "exactly" what he wants.

I built a rod last month for a customer. Total price was $400 dollars. He got the EXACT combination he was looking for in a rod that he otherwise could never have purchased. Was it a ton of money? Yes, but he got what he wanted.

That is the real advantage to custom building. It is cost effective if you are building for yourself. Not so much when you are buying one from someone else.

Several of the big name places offer building classes. One that you might want to take a look at that would not be a huge travel for you would be Sportsman direct around the Detroit area. They offer a class with all the equipment for a really cheap price (less than 100 bucks). I have no affiliation with them nor have I taken a class from them but it does provide the basics, all the equipment, and one on one training at an unbelievable price.

Custom rods are not for everyone. I own several off the shelf rods too. These days, I am looking for specific funtion and duty rods and I can really only get them from the custom side of the house. Hence the reason I started in the first place.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"