Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Handle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Handle

A rod with a Tennessee handle? Actually what is a Tennessee handle and what benefit does it have.

whiplash Guest

Default handle

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    A rod with a Tennessee handle? Actually what is a Tennessee handle and what benefit does it have.
    a tenn. handle is all cork with no reel seat ,you tape the reel where you like the balance
    whiplash :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation actually ...

Tennessee handles can be all graphite, as well as cork .... I have a Browning/Lew's rod that has a TN handle - handle and rod are "all" graphite.
    But, Whiplash is correct in that TN handles have no "fixed reel seat" ... you mount the reel with tape or rings (some come with the rings), and you "balance" the rod/reel by placement of the reel on the handle. ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

My dad had one of those. But instead of taping the reel to the handle it used two metal rings that secured the reel to the handle. The rings slide over the reel's legs or whatever you call those things on a spinning reel.

Quote Originally Posted by whiplash
    a tenn. handle is all cork with no reel seat ,you tape the reel where you like the balance
    whiplash :D
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

BPS has some tape that bonds to itself for Tennessee seats. It is great stuff with many purposes. It is kind of expense. But it can even be used under woater to bonds or stick something together.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what is this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by fishin3
    BPS has some tape that bonds to itself for Tennessee seats. It is great stuff with many purposes. It is kind of expense. But it can even be used under woater to bonds or stick something together.
    I have a couple of old BnM poles with adjustable slip ring seats. Never would stay in place. Finally taped them, but still rotate some. Agrivating, to say the least. What is the name of this stuff from BPS?

Also no one ever told me how to replace foam handle stuff. Any ideas?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

The tape was called "Tommy Tape". I don't know if they still care it or not. It bonded to itself. I hope they still sell it cause it was great stuff. It did not get stick like duct tape or electrical tape does.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tommy tape

Quote Originally Posted by fishin3
    The tape was called "Tommy Tape". I don't know if they still care it or not. It bonded to itself. I hope they still sell it cause it was great stuff. It did not get stick like duct tape or electrical tape does.
    searched BPS for tommy tape. Could not find it. Any other ideas or sources?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I Googled up "Tommy Tape" and came up with the home page of the manufacturer -

http://www.tommytape.com/default.htm

and a place you can order it on-line - http://doitbest.com/shop/vendor_item...vendornum=3264

The Pam and Tommy Lee Tape came up several times also.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of rods with Tennessee handles. When I get the reel in a position I like, I put a drop of rtv or goop on the reel where the rings slide up. After it sets up it will hold the rings in place, yet with a little effort, you can still remove the reels.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast