Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Representing a Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Representing a Sponsor

With competitive and professional angling becoming more popular than ever, garnering sponsorship can oftentimes be the difference between competing and sitting on the sidelines. There are many great anglers out there that think: “If only a company would give me the chance, I could be as good as that guy”. Although I am sure there are a ton of good anglers out there that could be competitive, many anglers do not understand what it means to have a sponsor.

I’m often asked how I obtain sponsorship. Is it because I am good at what I do? Is it because I can compete with the best in the business and, on any given day, beat the pants off from them? Or is it because I am just lucky and know the right people in the right places? The answer often shocks people, but the reality is that none of the above are good answers or reasons why I can garner sponsorship.

The trick is not: “What can your company do for me” but “What I can do for your company”. Many people approach sponsorship in the wrong way. They contact a company, ask for products, discounts, or money donations with the mindset that they are going to put that company on the map by winning. Many times they will even go as far as to say “I’ll put you on the stage”, or “you will regret it when I win with someone else’s products”. Most companies already know or realize that professional angling is a competition sport. Oftentimes, big tournaments have more than one hundred boats. The odds for anyone to win a tournament is around 1%. Sure, the numbers go up with local knowledge and experience, but why would a company want to back you simply because you have the desire and goals to win? Isn’t that what everyone wants to do?

The first thing I tell everyone is that you have to bring something to the table. Have you won any local tournaments? Have you worked your way through the ranks, struggled with making it from tournament to tournament, and despite the lack of funds, you were still able to produce a strong showing? In other words, have you paid your dues? If none of the above is true, there is still hope. Do you have any affiliations with sportsman forums, write any featured articles, or are you a valued contributing member of these forums? Have you written any printed articles, had any photographs published, or have any media followings in place? People often forget that the whole reason for sponsorship is to sell products! What can you do to help sell these products?

I recommend you look through your boat, your tackle boxes, your rods and your reels, and attempt to garner support from the companies that you currently utilize. There must be a reason why you spend your own hard earned money on their products. When you are not tied to a particular company because they provide a discount, you have the free choice to purchase whatever you desire. Companies want to know this. Why do you use their equipment? You could buy anything you want, why theirs?

For me, the choice is often easy. I will contact a company, tell them what I like about their products, why I use them over others, and what I can do to help them. I also tell them that their decision will not impact my future purchases. In other words, I will continue to purchase their products regardless if I receive any support. Has this bitten me? A few times. But by doing this it shows loyalty to the company. Besides, I feel the equipment I purchase and use is the best in the game. In my eyes, there is nothing better. Conversely, I would never attempt to go with another company simply because they are willing to provide me with something. If I won’t purchase it on my own, I probably don’t want to represent them.

There are many different levels of sponsorship out there. From Pro-staff, to full blown money support and everything in between. My two favorite are obviously the money support but also the product support. I like to receive new products to test and try. Because I have the ability to write and the vehicles to place articles where they draw attention, I can get the word on the street. My least favorite is a Pro-staff deal that involves the purchasing of a certain number of products or a dollar value of products at a reduced rate. Sure, it saves a few bucks but, by and large the company tends to not only make a few sales (at a reduced rate) but also get their name on the street without really bringing much to the table. I do have a few pro-staff deals however they are products that I utilize a lot, are high dollar products, and it gives me the ability to get great products at a ridiculous cost. I do not have any deals that require me to spend a specific dollar value.

So, I have a sponsor, now, how do I support them? Well, the deals can vary greatly from one company to another. Some will require you to write about them on a weekly or monthly basis. Some require you to link your personal social media accounts to theirs and comment on products as much as possible. Others will give you free range to be able to promote their products. Understand that promoting products is NOT a tournament day only type of deal. Tournaments are only a brief percentage of the total amount of time we spend fishing. For me, I consider myself an employee of that company. It is my job to always represent them in a positive professional manner.

How do you represent a company when it is no longer tournament season? One of my favorite things to do post photographs with key product placement. I am not trying to draw the viewers’ attention to the product, but rather have it in the background. This may be in the form of wearing a hat, or having one of their products laying in plain view:
    Name:  Abby Fish.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  37.4 KBName:  Hat.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  92.6 KBName:  T shirt.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  60.3 KB

Recently I took representation to the next level and decided to host a teaching event for a father and son. A few months back, the father posted on a forum I am a member of and started asking questions about walleye fishing. He was a new boat owner and was looking to try his hand at jigging walleyes. I tried my best to answer his questions, give him a few tips and tricks, and even some of my favorite hot spots. We struck up a private message session where he could ask as many questions as possible. It is important to note that I do own a company that sells specific products that he “could” use. I didn’t push my products on him and allowed him to make his own decisions. He would tell me later that he did research on my products, my personal service and support, and a cost comparison. In the end, he found that my products were cheaper in price, better in quality, and my customer service was outstanding. From this he was able to gauge just the type of person I am.

After his first outing to the river, he realized that his boat was big enough to start taking on other ventures. He had heard about fall walleye trolling and was really interested in getting his family involved in it yet he understood that there was a sharp learning curve. He again contacted me for support, advice, and to answer specific questions. In the end, he simply asked if I would be willing to take him and his son out and teach them how to do it? He trusted me with my knowledge and experience and wanted to learn hands on. He was not so much interested in catching fish as he was learning how to do something new. For me, it would be an opportunity to introduce someone, new to trolling, to a few of my sponsors. To see how I do things, why I do things, and why I utilize the products that I do.

On the Friday after Thanksgiving, Randy and his son Corbin made the five hour drive north from Southern Indian and we met at the docks of Sterling State Park. We had spoken through email for several months so we already knew each other’s personalities fairly well. It was apparent from the beginning that they were interested in taking in as much knowledge as I could spew out in the next 5 hours. Before leaving the dock, I considered it customary to provide a couple of sponsorship hats and make them a part of the crew.

Once we left the dock, the teaching started immediately. We had a 15 minute ride out of the harbor and this was the time to ask specific questions. His questions were perfect. He wanted to know how I could choose one area over another in a vast expanse of water. What was I looking for on my sonar and on my maps that would point me to a good starting place? We went over safety procedures, equipment, and what they needed to do in the event something happened to me. I made them familiar with my boat, its equipment, and the location of key items. I set a course for 3.5 miles out of the harbor and we motored to our first location.

Before a rod was set I explained how I setup a boat to troll, why I thought it was important, and the types of baits and setbacks we would be utilizing. I went over the proper setup of my Off Shore planer boards, how they are utilized and how to set them on the line and get them in the water. I didn’t have to discuss the difference in planer boards. The reality of it is that I don’t know the difference. What I do know is what I utilize. I didn’t have to tell them why this product was superior to other products on the market. I would let them make up their own minds. It wouldn’t be long before the first board went sailing backwards and Corbin was hooked up with a 6.5lb walleye. Before I could get that fish in the net, dad was hooked up and doing battle with his own fish.

From this point on, I allowed them to run out baits, retrieve baits, set planer boards, release boards, set the hook and do everything as if they were running their own boat. It didn’t take long before they were doing things like seasoned professionals. The down time between bites gave them the opportunity to ask questions, get answers, and specifically see the answers play out. The picture became much clearer and they were able to see, in their mind, how their boat setup would be.

Trust me, I didn’t have to tell them to go out and purchase Off Shore planer boards. They stared at 8 yellow boards with orange flags flying in formation for the better part of five hours. I’m pretty sure the product recognition is burned into their mind.

Did Off Shore make a huge sale after this day? Not particularly. Oh they will sell planer boards I have no doubt. In fact, not only will Randy and Corbin purchase planer boards and everything else associated, they will also pass on their knowledge to other friends and family who will in turn purchase Off Shore boards. I didn’t have to sell the products, they sell themselves. What I did by representing Off Shore was sell the company. I represented them in a positive, helpful way and attitude. This will be what is remembered more than anything else. Sure, they will go to sleep and see the little yellow boards dancing on the water but, they will remember the guy that taught them how to troll, let them do battle with the biggest walleyes of their lives, gave them yellow hats, and offered nearly 30 years of experience to them. For that they will sell more Off Shore boards than I ever could by myself!
    Name:  Double.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  39.5 KBName:  Final.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  34.4 KB
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting read, on the money, for the wanna be tournament folks. Thanks for the article.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read, and thanks for taking the time to share a perspective on competitive fishing.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

That was a very good read. I have just started tournament fishing and haven't really tried to get sponsored yet. But when I do the information you just laid out there will surely help. Thanks for writing this.

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read and terrific info!! Thanx for posting.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good article.

When I started guiding, I approached some companies that made products I was already using. I got positive response from some, no response from others. I was more interested in a Pro-Staff deal so I could save some $$ on products that get used hard. I also told those who responded positively that I would endorse their products any time I got a chance but would also be using other company's products that I have used for years and I would not prostitute myself for anybody's product, regardless of how good it was. I live in an area where there are bass tournaments every few days and sponsored wrapped boats are everywhere. I played the bass tournament game for years with zero support but watched guys who had way less fishing ability but were able to sell themselves get big deals from manufacturers. Many of those sponsors came and went almost yearly. The companies demand results and exposure and many guys were not able or willing or able to get out there and push the sponsor's products.

I was a huge fan of outdoor TV until 90% of the shows became 30 minute commercials. Many of the big-name outdoor types would say this product is the best ever made then say the exact same thing about a competitor's product the next TV season. They had to change their entire wardrobe each season as sponsor deals came and went. That soured me on outdoor TV and I rarely watch any of it any more.

I have probably sold as many fishing related items for some companies that never knew who I was because they make a product I believe in, use daily, and recommend to those who fish with me. Does that mean another company's product is not as good? No, I just stay with what works best for me.

I think probably well over 90% of those who frequent this site are weekend fishermen who come here for information on equipment, tactics and where to fish. Regardless of what level of sponsorship I might have, I still refuse to endorse a product I don't use or believe in. I think that should be a goal for anybody who represents a company.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes John Doe LIKED above post

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm seldom asked.

Post Thanks / Like

MrDux.

You are correct in what you say. I see it all the time. The biggest issue I have is when a person represents a particular brand or company and instead of talking about the product that they are supposed to know and represent, they spend their time talking down on the other companies. Like I said, I personally do not know the capabilities (or lack thereof) of competing companies, I can only speak for what I know, use, and trust. It doesn't look professional to talk down on competition.

You have seen what I have seen in these shows. Today they represnt one truck company and tell you all the great things about it compared to others, tomorrow, they are using a different truck (that they bad mouthed on a previous episode). Same holds true for the boats they use today and tomorrow.

I do however suspect that many of these guys with "wrapped" boats do so to look bigger than they truely are. In other words, they may get support in some form however it probably wasn't even enough to pay for the wrap! I see it quite a bit actually.

People do not realize that they are representing a company every time they pull the billboard down the road, wear a hat or T-shirt, and are made visible. Everything can look bad. From cutting people off on the road, to cutting in front of someone at the launch. People will remember that and associate that in their purchases. One particular tournament series I fish allows the captains to have adult beverages during the captains meetings. For the most part, they are not really open to the public however, one particular event I remember was. The local community was even selling alcohol. I made a comment to my partner how unprofessional it looked to have several individuals representing a company in the public eye and drinking. They didn't realize that many of the company executives could (and were) in attendance for the meeting. It was not a good look that is for sure!
    Likes M R Dux LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690 View Post
    I'm seldom asked.
    Man, wouldn't it make it so much easier if we were asked!!!
    "Hey, I like you, I like what you do, who you are, and what you represent. Would you be willing to represent our company and brand"?
    I'm still waiting for that day too my friend!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read. Nobody ever ask me either. I do get a lot of attention just about wherever I go. I like to think the interest is my fishing abilities, my good looks and charming personality, but honestly, the attraction is my boat that brings crowds. The boat is somewhat unique.

I always take the time to answer whoever asks, "what the heck this stuff on my boat is about"? They never ask me about "fishing".
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Redge, Spaceman, Tracker123 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast