Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The lake has flipped I'm told?????

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The lake has flipped I'm told?????

Fishing has been tuff the last week, I'm told by several locals the lake flipped . Any experts on this that could shed more light for us rookies.

Post Thanks / Like

Not an expert by any means...

But the way I understand it, and our lakes up here probably "flip" more than your lakes, is...

During the warm weather, the top layer of the lake is warm and the bottom layer is cold. But when the seasons change, the top layer becomes cold and the water underneath is warmer. Cold water is heavier than warm water. So when the top layer becomes colder than the bottom layer when the seasons change, the cold water sinks and the warm water rises...flipping the lake. Messes with temps and oxygen. Fishing is usually slow during this period.
    Likes Snubby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, top (surface) is colder while deeper water is warmer.. vs summer is opposite, something about geothermic temperatures and such. Be an expert along shortly...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

how long would it normally take to turn over?
    Likes kfi LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Fall turnover, the lake will be back fishable soon
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it happens a lot on alabama lakes. They pull to much water. I think what is happening is the fish are starting to move into a winter pattern. I just don't think lakes with a lot of current will turn over. Now this is just my opinion and I've been wrong before but I fish wedowee just up river for you and I've never seen it turn over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IF the lake forms a thermocline, then it is subject to Fall Turnover. It won't happen over the entire lake at a single time, especially on large lakes. The biggest "change" (as far as the fish are concerned) is that the mixing of the water from the "flipping" not only mixes the lower level cold water with the upper level warm water, but also spreads the dissolved oxygen throughout the water column. This gives the fish greater depths, with survivable conditions, to swim in.

Not all turnovers are equal, either. Some are mild and take weeks, and may even go mostly unnoticed, while others are severe and occur in days ... and the "flip" can disturb bottom silt enough to really muck up the water conditions, and may even cause the lake to "stink" in those areas. It really all depends on the water temps vs the air temps & how fast and drastic the air temps drop and stay that way.

Just my opinion, based on what I think I know about the subject, and some experience & observations over the years.
    Likes Hanr3, skeetbum, BAMA S, jaxsprat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the lakes I fish it is not a problem....but on Dale Hollow.....clear and deep.....it makes fishing difficult.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thnx for the knowledge on this. Fishing has been off for over a week now.