Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can See Crappie, Cant Catch Them Harrison Bay Chickamauga Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can See Crappie, Cant Catch Them Harrison Bay Chickamauga Lake

My son and I are trying some crappie fishing with boat, but not much luck.
    Aug through Nov 2016.
    We have to cheap underwater camera and near some bridge piers, we can see dozens, if not hundreds of crappie.
    We have tried many types of bait from minnows to jigs, spoons, crank baits, live worms, crickets, etc.
    We have fished this spot 4 different Saturdays and have caught maybe 6 crappie total.
    We watched a man cast a light jig -1/48 ounce - into the same area where we were casting an identical bait, except ours was 1/32 oz.
    He caught 6. We caught none
    What gives (other than we don't know how to fish), what could we be doing wrong?
    Had similar experience at barge Piers below Nickajack Dam. Can see dozens of Crappie and Bass, but catch very few.

Frustrating to see but not catch. Makes me want to shoot them....or shoot the camera :~)
    Any advice appreciated
    Chickamauga lake, Harrison Bay Wolftever Creek Tn.
    Thanks
    Stacy Whetzell

Post Thanks / Like

lighter weight = slower fall , antagonizes fish into attacking the bait. that could be your problem, especially if everything else is the same.
    that's my worth
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Two things I will throw out are I dont see minnows on that list and you cant beat them for a slow bite. Second did you try holding the bait still vertically over them?

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use lighter line. Six pound test max. Also get some white and some chartreuse crappie nibbles and tip your jig with them. The smell helps promote bites. Can even tip a minnow with them. Get back to us after you give this a try.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go on the Tenn Forum and give a shout out to "Drumking"

You can also read his reports, as he gives good info on water conditions, baits used, depths fished, etc.

Wish I could help, but the closest I've been fishing to that area is the Spring City/Piney River area of Watts Bar Lake

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

While I can't speak specifically to the waters you are fishing. I can offer a tip to consider sometimes help with finicky fish. It can be all about bait choice and presentation. Since you have an example using the same bait as another fisherman catching at the same location, you might want to consider how slow you are presenting the bait. If you think you are providing a slow presentation, slow it down even more. The other intriguing aspect about the example you provide is the direction/angle of your presentation. Obviously, the other angler was presenting from a different direction. I sometimes found casting from one spot on a laydown does not produce. When I move a bit and present to the same location I can catch a few. Good luck. Your day is coming.
    Last edited by Spaceman; 11-23-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Downsize and slow the retrieve. One trip I started with a 1/8, not a bite. Like you, I knew they were there. Went to 1/16 and got one now and then, and a 1/32 I got with it a little better yet. I went to a 1/64 and it was a fish on almost every cast and left em biting 3 hours later. Same body, same color, all I changed was the fall rate. Nibbles also Help, and I just don't buy many minnows so I can't say much on that.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with drop your bait size down for sure and maybe go to 4 lb test ......and for sure put a Berkley gulp brand crappie nibble on the hook point .....no larger than 6 on the hook size and present the bait very soft and slow .....sometimes a tiny feather jig is the ticket when the water temps drop as well ......they will bite something for sure at some point .....and explore the bite window as well .....sometimes a few hours before or after is the ticket
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot the Camera!

Post Thanks / Like

What everyone has suggested are good things to try. Hard to say without seeing you fish. But as you try to work it out keep fishing that pier below Nickajack. It is a target rich environment for crappie. A good place to work on your technique.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast