Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spincasting reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spincasting reels

I was just wondering does anyone else use spincasting reels. I purchased two Daiwa's silvercast reels a few years ago to allow very young fisherman to use. Since then I found them very handy to have. One creek I fish requires pinpoint casting. I cannot pinpoint cast with a spinning reel but I can with a spincasting reel. I can land a bait within 2ft of the target 90% of the time. Another great application is fishing docks. I can take a spincast reel and cast it with the same motion as you would use skipping a rock on the surface. From a distance I can fish it much faster than using the dock shooting method. Dock shooting is a better method when your closer in to the target. I had not used a spincasting reel since my Zebco 202 days back in the early 70's. I'm glad they are still good fishing tools to have.

Reggie
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a Zebco ZO2 spincast reel for my redear fishing. It has an extremely slow retrieve ratio at 3/1 which is ideal for redears. It is not cheap but built to last.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Clint, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't but I think what happen is back in the day the Johnson Centuries,Zebco 33's,and Daiwa Goldcast I think it was? Were made pretty well...then the quality went through years when it just was off some...when was that?Maybe the eighties? So I started using baitcasters and spinners and just never went back..but nothing wrong with using one if it makes you happy. I use to hate it when the line would get under the spool cover and wrap around the shaft...course a spinning reel can do that to once in awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

There are new models on the market like the Zebco Z02 that MRdux mentioned that are way better than the old models. I have been thinking about getting one for simplistic fishing sometime. They cost as much as a good spinning reel and some bait casters. Upwards of $50 to $60 depending on the model.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Pfluger president spincast reels are what I bought my grandsons. Cheaper than the Zebco omega pro but very smooth with a nice drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Zebco's for probably over 50 years. I have several of the high end models now. Z02 and Z03'S I think. And a couple detla's. My only complaint is the same one I have always had. The drag is just not as good as the rest of the reel.Hard to get it just right, harder to keep it that way. Time for some improvement. Zebco, you listening?
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see Zebco make a trigger spin reel with the quality of the Z02/Omegas.
    Likes "D", blastr1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Diawa GC80's for the past 15 years. I have about 6 new ones still in boxes in case they quit making them. It is my understanding they have stopped and are looking to come out with something new. I started thinking the quality had fell off as it usually does when a company starts cutting corners.

I thought the reel was too big for the rods I was using. They just weren't balanced. What I did like was the anti-reverse button. I used it all the time. It kept me from losing a lot of big fish and i believe it helped keep the hook from tearing out when a big crappie was hooking in the thinner part of it's mouth. I would just hold my line between my fingers and let it run. Only way I would have caught some of the bass I had on.

I could also sling a 1/16 oz. jig way out there. That's why I have about 15 on rods with these 6-7 for back ups. Should be good to go for another 15 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Z02 and a Z03 and have been happy with both. I primarily use mine on a couple of 8ft rods, 4 lb trilene with slip bobbers. If I had a do-over I would have bought 2 of the Z03s. Drag system leaves much to be desired but that is true for any spincast reel I have ever fished with.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Pflueger Trigger spins, They work great. Great drag.
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast