Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set the steel to the jaw!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Set the steel to the jaw!!!!!

I went to the yearly Boat,Sport and travel show here in Indy and sat through a crappie seminar. It was very basic info given by a couple of semi pros out of Ohio, but one thing they said that contradicted some of what I have read is they stated when your over a spot catching fish you should pull them out of the water as quick as possible. "Jar the boat" as they said. Now I know I have read that especially on the first few fish you should play them alittle and it sends the rest of fish into a feeding frenzy. These guys say it spooks the other fish when you let em fight. I have never really considered the effects either way, I just don't wanna let them hang me up in the cover!!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I agree with you. Sometimes it's like a dog with a bone. They want nothing to do with your bait at first. But get one to bite and the rest get excited.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I was also at that seminar on Saturday @2p. They were interesting, but I wasn't 100% impressed. Each lake has their own styles. They were informative, but most is common sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I did find it interesting, though, the information they shared about the bobbers. Never thought of that!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the fish get excited when you catch one, but who knows?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis
    I did find it interesting, though, the information they shared about the bobbers. Never thought of that!

Well???

Post Thanks / Like

We fish pretty light rigs so we have to let them fight. One thing I have noticed is when fishing deep with a 2 hook outfit, if we hook a fish and just keep the pressure on, fighting it slow and easy, sometimes another fish will grab the other bait. The struggle of the first fish really makes the second bait dance.

Post Thanks / Like

It depend where you are at. If over cover, get them up away from it as quickly as possible. If over open water then you can play them a bit. With cover, most of the time there is more than one fish so get the first one up quickly and get your bait down as soon as possible to get the next fish. the commotion of the first fish will get the other fish in the area curious and they will come see what happened but all they will find is your little meal sitting there just waiting to get eaten. How can they refuse such a easy meal? CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

so the consenses is let em play alittle if possible?? or sneak them out of the party one by one with out any others knowing??? Just trying to get a little poll here.... like I said, I don't play em all the way to the boat like I was shooting a video for a Bill Dance show or something, nor am I trying to rip out the mouths!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default baited me in

So there I was in the front row for the same seminar, and yes it did seem to be very basic information. Back to my point.... he comes out with this jar the boat thing, then asks if anyone dissagrees being the outspoken person I am, I spoke up and told him I preferred to just lift the fish outta the whole with my jig pole. In turn he pretty much told me that doesn't win tournaments and moved on with the seminar.

I considered the seminar a let down, show itself was outstanding. Ended up coming home with six new poles from the west side bait and tackle booth (three new jig poles, and three new cat poles )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast