Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold weather concerns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold weather concerns

I'd like to hit the water this weekend as a possible last chance for this season. The nighttime lows are projected to be below freezing and since my boat is kept outside I have concern with freezing water in my outboard. If I were to go out Saturday, what do I need to do to ensure all the water is out of my 30 hp 1994 evinrude so it doesn't freeze and damage anything that night after being on the water? It's a console steer e30elerm.

This may not be the official best place to ask on the forum, but I would appreciate any advice so I do not mess the heart of my boat up!

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

You should not have any problems unless your lower unit is leaking. After using it when you get home put the motor in the down position to drain all the water from the prop. Have good time and catch some fish.
    Likes Mike1234 LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said always keep lower unit down unless it is under a shed

Post Thanks / Like

You're fine, I fish all winter
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I lower mine all the way down as soon as i get the boat on trailer and pull up the ramp then get the boat strapped down then rise up motor for motor tot. When i get home lower motor back down and leave it down till next time.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    I lower mine all the way down as soon as i get the boat on trailer and pull up the ramp then get the boat strapped down then rise up motor for motor tot. When i get home lower motor back down and leave it down till next time.
    That's great if you can do that ... not everyone can. I, for instance, cannot put the boat on the trailer with the motor more than halfway down. (low profile trailer/90hp Merc) The lower unit fin would drag (& already has, and is "shorter" because of it). I cannot park it & then lower the motor to a "straight up/down" position, either ... even with the tongue of the trailer on the ground. I bungee plastic bags around the prop/lower unit opening, which acts like a "raincoat" during freezing temp times. Boat has sat outside for the last few Winters & the lower unit is still intact & functional. That may not be an issue, this year, as I am seriously considering putting it in a storage facility.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys! Gonna try to whack em tomorrow!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I lived in TN for 10 years and never put the boat away, fished all winter and drained it as already described with no issues.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around