Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuse For TM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuse For TM

Do I have to put a fuse on a clamp on 55# hand control tm, with the little gator clamp for the battery post?

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation is "yes". A fuse is less expensive than a trolling motor.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I had to take the gator clips off of my 35lb MG. The wire got hot enough to melt the insulation when ran on high on a windy day. Not so since I have put lugs on the end of the wires. I have no input on the fuse thing.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

When I had a 55# autopilot it was recommended that I have a 30 amp breaker I think? I guess I need to call MK...thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use on to be safe. M 24 volt 80# terrova recommended a 40 amp if I am not mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't on mine, but it would be a good idea. use a breaker, not a fuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Something simple like wrapping mono around the TM shaft and binding it up will cause the motor to draw excessive amperage and heat up. When that happens either the motor or the fuse/breaker will go. Compare the cost of each and decide.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 50 amp breaker today at auto parts store to install. I don't see why they don't put one in and just charge a little more when they build them, it sure would save on the frustration for the buyer....

Post Thanks / Like

The fuse/breaker is dependent upon the current draw of the wire. Wire is sized upon current. You want the breaker/fuse to blow before the amp capacity of the wire. Therefore, the wire never gets hot. So, size the breaker/fuse according to the wire size you are using. This is regardless of all manufacturing recommendations because they don't know what size wire you are running.

All said and done, let us know what size wire you are running. Then we'll know the rating of the wire. From there, size the breaker/fuse accordingly.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker123 View Post
    The fuse/breaker is dependent upon the current draw of the wire. Wire is sized upon current. You want the breaker/fuse to blow before the amp capacity of the wire. Therefore, the wire never gets hot. So, size the breaker/fuse according to the wire size you are using. This is regardless of all manufacturing recommendations because they don't know what size wire you are running.

All said and done, let us know what size wire you are running. Then we'll know the rating of the wire. From there, size the breaker/fuse accordingly.

Randy...I was planning on using 6ga. wire. What do ya think? is that to big for a 50 amp breaker? I will be using this motor for pulling jigs, so I'll be running somewhere around 1.0 mph, and I'm concerned about the heat in the wire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast