Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota Auto Pilot Good or Bad?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota Auto Pilot Good or Bad?????

I've heard some good reports (mostly in magazines and these guys are probably endorsed by Minn Kota and trying to sell auto pilots) and some bad. Besides being expensive one guy told me that they don't work well in the wind since the wind distorts the infrared or whatever they sight with when the front of the boat is bobing up and down. If this is so they may work better with a heavy fiberglass boat in windy conditions. So I'm asking for your opinions. I'll tally up the results after this thread has been around for a while. Please limit replies to either through personal experience or word of mouth from a trusted friend. Thanks to all that reply.

Post Thanks / Like

My MinnKota TM was donated to me by another crappie.commer but it just happened to have AutoPilot which I didn't know anything about. I read up on it and started using it. Now I don't think I could use the TM without it. My understanding is it uses compass heading to keep course. Seems to work pretty well for the most part. I like the fact that I can set it and forget it (haha) while I'm rigging a pole or landing a fish. I know the TM will be doing as much as it can to keep me going in the right direction. It does take some getting used to. And I think it works much better at medium to high speed, especially if there is wind pushing the boat. It can't really compensate enough at the lower speeds. All in all, I say it's Good. You can always turn it off if you don't like it.
    Just some added info from the Minn Kota site. Click here.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one. Love it. Bought it used. No troubles so far. If it goes bad, I will quickly buy another.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Bought one and used it one day and took it off as fast as I could. The reaction time is slow compared to a Maxxum. It is loud and the pedal operates just the oppisite of the Maxxum. I went back to the Maxxum. When you have had the best it hard to go with 2nd best. Get a Minn Kota Maxxum 101lb 36v.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't be without one. And Freeflow is correct, they work off a compass.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You could not give me enough money to buy mine from me. The only down side about it is that the footpetal works form side to side, instead of heal to toe. But I use the wireless feature anyways so I don't care that much.

Minkota did just come out with a new autopilot with the heal to toe foot control. It is called the Terrova.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a used 55# thrust auto pilot off ebay last year. My boat is 15.5' fiberglass. I really like the auto pilot for the slow trolling aspect. I set a direction, lock in my speed and can concentrate on my rods. Ever now and then, I readjust direction, but for the most part, I'll never own another trolling motor without an auto pilot feature no matter what size boat, or thrust. It has become like a second hand while fishing. Especially for someone that mainly fishes by themselves.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

i have the new terrova with autopilot and added copilot.... i have never been happier...

yes...im lazy LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I have one with the copilot and now 3 of my freinds who have tried it also have them. They work off of an electronic compass. The very early models had some bugs with the compass but now they are flat out great. None of us would sell ours and the copilot addition is very well worth the money. I wear mine like a watch and can control the boat even while netting a fish or digging for tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Terrova with the autopilot and copilot I love it. I have a 20 ft Duracraft it moves it great I can put it on Auto and do whatever i wont to on the boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast