Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterans fishing on Veterans Day Weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Veterans fishing on Veterans Day Weekend

What a great weekend.
    Marine Corp celebrated 241 years of service on Thursday November 10th, Marine Corp birthday. Happy Birthday Marines!
    Veterans Day on Friday November 11th. Thanks to all past and present service members. Your sacrifice is truly appreciated!
    What better way to celebrate than go fishing with some fellow veterans?

5 of us meet at the ramp to fish out of the Crappie Professors pontoon. 2 Marines (Jimbo and myself), and one US Cost Guard were in the group.
    It was dawn and the fog rolling off the lake was backlight by a rising sun.
    The water was calm and smooth as glass. Morning air temp was 33 degrees and expected high was 55 under a full sun.
    We loaded our gear in the 'toon and launched it. Jimbo (Crappie Professor) has launching that 24' 'toon down to a science.
    First stop wasn't very productive, caught a few and moved. Second spot was even less productive. Headed back to the ramp to ensure the truck topper was locked and picked up a propane heater, some of the older gents where having trouble with cold fingers from the minnow bucket.
    Third spot was the ticket. We stayed there for over 4 hours and had a ball. We fished with everything, live bait and artificial both produced fish. Charlie Brewer Crappie Sliders were just as productive as live minnows. Impressive to watch. We were slip bobber and jig fishing off the side of the toon. This spot was a nice location. We were just out of the wind (5-10mph), on the edge of a drop off that went from 12' to 25' fishing submerged trees about 15' down.

Things slowed around noon and gave Grover time to fire up the propane grill to make 2 brisket sandwiches for each of us. I have to admit, I had a tough choice to make. Grover walks up to me with a steaming brisket and sticks it out for me to take. One hand I was holding a pole with bobber down and the other was much needed warmth and food. Choices. Hmmm?

I put the sandwich down long enough to land the Crappie. Scarfed down the sandwich, put another minnow on the hook and had another fish-on within a couple of minutes. 15 minutes later the action died again and we ate our 2nd sandwich in Crappie bliss. We all finished up, cleaned up and resumed fishing. Took only a couple of minutes and the action was back hot and furious. I swear crappie loved the flavor of brisket on our bait. We couldn't feed them fast enough, it was awesome. The feed bag was on for both the hunter and hunted.

Time was getting close to end-of-day, we made the decision to try a few other spots before we had to call it a day. 5th and 6th spots were one and done places. 7th and final hole started out slow but picked up momentum the closer it got to dusk. We finally called it when the clicker hit 100 Crappie in the boat. We hung about 30 for some photos on the water before heading back to the ramp. Needless to say, we kept a 5 person limit and had a great Veterans day weekend Crappie fishing with some veterans. As we pulled up to the ramp the super-moon made its appearance. What a beautiful sight as we loaded the boat, unloaded the gear, split the fish, shook hands and parted ways.

Name:  GOPR1964.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  37.2 KB
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Veterans. Fishing. And brisket bait:-) Can't beat that anywhere. Thanks for sharing. Congrats!
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good friends, great fishing and good food! You can't beat that with a stick.
    Likes Blackhawk19, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good read and nice fish.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A very good read of a great day among Brothers. Thanks for telling us about it. Most of all, Thanks for your service and welcome home.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes North Central Arkie, Hanr3 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report. Thank all of you for your service. Glad you had fun.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your service. Great report ! What an awesome day together.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your service, I am glad you all got on the water for a day of fishing.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All!!!

It truly was a blessed day. Not too many fishing days are that perfect.
    To top it off, my sons put the patio furniture away for me. Saved me from dragging the furniture up the ladder into the shed loft. Plus I got to hang out with the grandkids during dinner. Then cleaned a mess of fish for another yet to be had family get together.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All!!!

It truly was a blessed day. Not too many fishing days are that perfect.
    To top it off, my sons put the patio furniture away for me. Saved me from dragging the furniture up the ladder into the shed loft. Plus I got to hang out with the grandkids during dinner. Then cleaned a mess of fish for another yet to be had family get together.
    HOI Crappie Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast