Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Another New Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another New Guy

Hello guys,
    I have been out of fishing for a few years. I stopped fishing and sold my rig about 7 or 8 years ago due to health reasons, and the fact that the boat was worn slap out.
    I'm better now and ready to start crappie fishing again. I've been looking at boats. I really need a boat that I can fish out of as well as duck hunt out of. I am supprised at the price of good aluminum boats. The 15 footers with a 25 and trailer are around $7000. Man thats a lot of money for a little boat!!!. Do any of you have any suggestions about boats, new or used.

I see many of you guys fish the Catawba chain. When I was a little boy, my Daddy, his brother, his uncle, and I used to fish in the "Catawba" somewhere. We trolled using a small kicker motor. We would use long cane poles rigged with 3 to 5 oz of lead and a home made jig that my great uncle made and a minnow. We were very successful. I have never seen anyone else fish like this.

I have no idea exactly where we were fishing and all the old guys are gone. I do remember that we would pick my great uncle up in Chester and then travel about 50 miles to the lake.

I live near the Santee Lakes now. Do any of you fish here? Truthfully, I have not been that successful fishing Santee as we did in my youth fishing the Catawba.

Well I'll stop babbling. I'm really looking forward to fishing for crappie again. Take care,
    TheHawg

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the g3 boats I have the 1860cc with a 60 yamaha love it.....You can fish or hunt out of it. Here is the web site http://www.g3boats.com/GatorTough/gt_jons/default.php

Mark
    G3 1860 cc Gator Tough ><((((º> ><((((º>

Post Thanks / Like

welcome aboard Hawg. its really good to see new faces with fresh input showing up. i fish santee occasionally for catfish.. I havent fished for crappie there since we used to fish the big tournaments back in the 80's. I go there now just to catfish, and fish wylie for crappie, and wateree for stripers. before i retired, i decided i wanted a boat i could fish bigger water out of and carry more passengers. i looked around and settled on a 20 ft sea ark, with a 90 mercury and galv. trailer. 5 year ago, it cost me about 12 and a half grand. i paid it off in a year, to keep from going into retirement with a boat payment. i liked the layout of this boat. it had nothing in it but the console and aerator,, no floor, no rod boxes no storage. I wanted to lay it out how i wanted it. it took awhile to get it where i wanted it, but now, id not have nothing else. you ever up in the area and wanna go night stalking let me know. well work it out. theres lot of information and guys willing to help a man get set up, so join us anytime, and talk to us
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

12 and half grand in a year. Not much more than a dog bite every 3 months I think Rango had the right idea startin out with a basic shell and setting it up like he likes. If my boat ever dies I would look real close at the sea ark. I'm really impressed with the way it can carry all that weight (from the equipment of course) and still have the gunnels above water. I've followed that boat down the creek a few times and that 90 pushes it along just fine. If you can get out and join us for one of these socials or whatever you'll see alot of different ways to rig a boat and get alot of good ideas.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    12 and half grand in a year. Not much more than a dog bite every 3 months I think Rango had the right idea startin out with a basic shell and setting it up like he likes. If my boat ever dies I would look real close at the sea ark. I'm really impressed with the way it can carry all that weight (from the equipment of course) and still have the gunnels above water. I've followed that boat down the creek a few times and that 90 pushes it along just fine. If you can get out and join us for one of these socials or whatever you'll see alot of different ways to rig a boat and get alot of good ideas.
    I should have clarified that 12 and half grand in a year gary. lol.. i bought the boat a year before i retired knowing when i finished work id be gettin some extra cash from different plans i was paying into, so when i got it,, i paid that green monster off to keep from having boat payments. I had it financed for four years but paid it off three years early.
    this would be a good time at the social for you guys wanting to see how these boats we are using to night stalk are set up. theres tons of good ideas for anyone looking to set up their boat. I always enjoy gettin in
    anothers boat and having a good look around to see if hes got anything useful i can apply to my situation.
    the sea ark can carry a ton of weight and still float. id imagine if the gunnels ever get below the water line shell go down faster than the titanic tho....
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...