Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: jig /slip cork setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig /slip cork setup

ive noticed alot of folks using a slip cork with a jig . is this to maintain a certain depth or to slow down your presentation even more? or both?

Post Thanks / Like

I use slip floats to maintain depth mostly with minnows. If I am using a float with a jig, it's usually when they are relatively shallow and spooky and then I use a very small pear shaped slip/peg float to keep the lure in the strike zone. Usually if I am fishing deeper water with a jig, I'll vertical jig or cast rather than use a float. Just my preferences.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

thats what i do (vertical casting) i just got to wondering if in extreme cold conditions if maybe pulling a jig extremly slow under a cork might be a good idea . thanks for the imput though. i agree thats the only way to go fishing minnows over about 4ft deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip floats

I use a pencil slip float during the spawn to keep the jig off the bottom & stay in the strike zone longer. Casts better also than a fixed float.

Post Thanks / Like

I will use a weighted snap on float( torpedo shaped) for casting from now until the end of April. fishing anywhere from 2' to 8' deep. We cast our jigs in stump fields and open flats with ditches and humps. I can almost throw all the line off a Zebco 11 with the weighted cork and a 1/16 jig.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Generally speaking, Bama ...

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    ive noticed alot of folks using a slip cork with a jig . is this to maintain a certain depth or to slow down your presentation even more? or both?
    It's all THREE :

maintain specific depth
    slower presentation
    longer casting distances

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama647

I use them all the time. And so do Jerry and Darryl. They mainly fish minnows under them and sometimes as deep as 30ft.

I fish clear water and this is about the best way to get to the fish without spookin them. No matter how deep. You can keep your jig in one spot as long as needed. Also if there is any chop on the water the waves will do the work for you.

Give it a try. Use any and try 2 or 3 or more slipcorks. But put a bobber stopper on then a beed then your cork a small slit shot about 6" up from your jig.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I use it to keep my jig in the strike zone, sometimes they just need to look at it a while. Most time in deep water.
    Seth

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish from shore so a slip float is a must. If I am in a boat its to slow down the bait, maintain one depth, and get it in close to structure with out having snags.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

After i lose about 5 jigs to my favorite snags, i'll put a slide bobber on with a jig and shot. This allows me to fish just above the snag. Granted i've already caught 10 fish before i need to do this as i fish my way down the water column and into the deeper snags.