Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What am I looking at?! New to SONAR.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What am I looking at?! New to SONAR.

I have been scouting my lake with my new DEEPER portable fish finder that I troll behind the john boat. It is my very first ever fish finder and am excited to have one! I love to crappie fish and I know finding structure is vital to finding the crappie. I took these two pictures of what I was seeing on the sonar and being new to this, I'm not sure what the heck I'm looking at!

The first image (A) is a blowdown tree from shore going about 20-30' in the water. The manual says green denotes grass/weed but that is not the case as I know for a fact this is a huge tree. Not to mention you can actually make out the limbs. But what is that orange blob to the right of that?

A.Name:  DEEPER1.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  46.8 KB

This second image (B) is something I came across just slow trolling around. If I had to guess I would say brush/tree but I dont see any distinguished limbs or branches. This was no blowdown, wasn't close to shore. Also notice im in 10.5' of water, whatever that is it's near the same height! It is also right on a small drop off, should of been a smokin crappie spot but I caught nothing on it. Also, I know fish..well at least crappie show up as arches on the sonar, it said it was marking fish but I only see one nice arch, thats the one far left, but it looks unusually large for a crappie! I want to say my sensitivity was set around 85-90%. Guess I'm expecting to much in terms of detail. Need your experience here fellas! Much appreciated!

B.Name:  DEEPER2.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  44.2 KB
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 11-03-2016 at 05:38 PM. Reason: language

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I am not any help but following along. I am trying to get my depth finder up and running also.

Post Thanks / Like

The blob in the first one looks like a school of bait with maybe a fish or two under it, when undisturbed bait will be in a fairly regular shape, big pocks and such usually mean something is busting it up. There are a few brighter blips in the cloud, could be something like little white perch in a shad ball.

The second one i would say is a stump or big rock with fish stacked on top of it. Just because you didnt catch doesnt mean they werent fish. Nothing like seeing marks everywhere and not being able to buy a bite. At least if you dont have a fish finder you can tell yourself they must not have been there.

Post Thanks / Like

You also have to understand what the colors of your selected pallet are telling you. For instance, in Humminbirds' standard color pallet the more red you see in a individual target the larger the target. Sonar actually reflects off the swim bladder in the fish, so the larger the fish, the larger the swim baldder thus the larger the target
    Name:  fish-arches.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  91.0 KB
    'Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things which you hear and see:
    The blind see and the lame walk; lepers are cleansed and deaf hear; dead are raised up and poor have the gospel preached to them.
    And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me... Matthew 11:4-6
    Likes pescador, skeetbum, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

This info is helpful to me also.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to fish here.

Quote Originally Posted by MrS View Post
    You also have to understand what the colors of your selected pallet are telling you. For instance, in Humminbirds' standard color pallet the more red you see in a individual target the larger the target. Sonar actually reflects off the swim bladder in the fish, so the larger the fish, the larger the swim baldder thus the larger the target
    Name:  fish-arches.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  91.0 KB
    Likes SeaRay, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom photo is fish on structure .....top I agree with probably a bait ball....with what may be a tree on the bottom to the left of the bait
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

For more reading on the subject go to the South Carolina forum and click on the sticky for "Depth Finder Interpretations". About 10 years of info on there.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

FYI- blow downs, lay downs don't always stay on shore. Over time they can migrate to deeper water. Rising water levels, wave action, etc. move trees around in the water. I have found trees 100' from shore that weren't there last year. Last year I fished them near shore. Plus DNR and fisherman have been known to hook onto a tree and drag it off shore to add cover to the lake.

Great images for a smaller sonar unit. I like the Walleye symbols instead of the bass symbols.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!