Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: charging all on-board batteries question

Post Thanks / Like

Default charging all on-board batteries question

Is there a way to set-up to charge all three of the batteries on my boat at the same time?

Post Thanks / Like

a 3 bank charger....

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a 3 bank on-board charger of at least 10 amps per bank.

Post Thanks / Like

and if you don't fish a lot you can get by with one like I use. It's 3 bank but is 3-5-5 3 volts to start and 5 to each trolling , digitally controlled, when one battery reaches full charge it shuts down that bank and sends the current to the others until all are charged. Small unit doesn't take a lot of space and costs less than the larger ones. If you fish a lot and use the troller a LOT get the bigger one.
    I use a Pro Mariner Mini Mite
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help fellas!

Post Thanks / Like

I installed a Pro Charger RS3 6amps per bank total 18amps it charges both trolling batteries and starting battery; I attached an extra connector to the accessory battery and just switch it over from the start battery. Academy Sports has them in stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't have to be 10amps, could be 5 amps. The difference is in how many hours it takes to recharge your batteries. 10amps per bank (battery) if you only have 4-6 hours or so. 5 amps per bank if you have 8-10 hours. The length of time also depends on how far the batteries were run down, if you don't suck much juice, it wont take as long to recharge.

I only have two batteries, trolling and a starting. I bought a 2 bank 5amp per bank MinnKota charger. Extremely pleased with it. I had a warranty issue and they replaced it promptly without question, even covered shipping of the new and old unit.

I push my batteries on the weekends, especially camping weekends. Fish Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday evening, and Sunday morning. I fish for about 4-5 hours each time out, and charge between trips. They are on the charger all week. Most lakes I motor to the spot and use trolling motor to move about the area. HP restricted lakes I troll to my spots and move in a route to conserve battery power.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!