Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New To Me Boat- 2012 Lund Rebel 1625 XL

Post Thanks / Like

Default New To Me Boat- 2012 Lund Rebel 1625 XL

I have had several boats over the past 35 years. I have fished for bass, stripers, hybrids, crappie, saltwater fish, flounder gigged, and duck hunted. Last year I got the itch that I needed one more boat to finish out my career. Discussed with the wife explaining that I would be able to catch more and larger fish in a new boat. I stressed so called bad features of my boat to the point that it probably would not float anymore. She said that she had heard this line before and she was not biting. I offered to compromise and go with a late model used boat rather than a new one.

I primarily longline for crappie now and decided to stay with a deep vee like my current Lund 16 ft. Checked a six state area on Craigslist for 7 months on a daily basis searching 6 different brands of boats. I had decided that a white Lund 1625 XL with the extra wide beam and a 60 hp four stroke Yamaha motor would be at the top of my list although I would consider any brand. Could not turn up anything that interested me. Lot of under powered boats out there. By accident I ended up in Pennsylvania while doing my daily search and there it was. A 2012 white Lund rebel 1625 XL with a 60 hp Yamaha four stroke motor. I could not believe what I was seeing. Talk about a needle in the haystack.

Discussed with the wife. She made some comment that I was off my medicine to consider driving to Pennsylvania to buy a boat. I countered that it had to be fate to find this needle in the haystack and it was unwise to tempt fate.

I contacted the boat owner. He had the boat four years but only used it four times on week long trips. He was retired and his fishing partner had unexpectedly died. He lost interest in fishing after one trip by himself. He estimated 40 hours on the motor. Boat had not been on the water in two years. Stored in his garage. After two discussions we agreed on a price.

Explained to the wife this would be like a vacation driving to an area that we had never been before. Do a lot of sight seeing. Made the trip up to Pennsylvania. Boat checked out and stayed overnight. Headed home the next day and wife wanted to know more about the sight seeing part of the trip. All she had seen were tractor trailers on I-81. Anyone that has traveled this road knows what I am talking about. I explained that it was important to get this boat home as quickly as possible for further evaluation.

I had little time to fish that time of year as I was doing restoration work to a rental house and had projects on my own house at that time. My wife and I did take the boat out to Lake Higgins bass fishing to give it a shake down run. We caught 17 bass that morning. I was glad to get a good coat of fish slime in it. She caught a 4 lb 5 oz for the biggest of the day. While taking her picture, I proudly reminded her of my original statement that a new boat would allow us to catch larger and more fish. For once she did not have a comeback.Name:  P1110676.jpg
Views: 2196
Size:  83.3 KBName:  P1110677.jpg
Views: 2254
Size:  88.6 KBName:  P1110689.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  55.4 KBName:  P1110690.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  62.7 KBName:  P1110705.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  69.0 KBName:  P1080662 (800x600).jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  130.5 KB

I have just recently got my s/s trolling bar welded up and installed rod holders. I kept my Humminbird 998 and I-Pilot from my old boat. I still need to install an on board battery charger which I have already purchased. I have taken the boat out 3 times recently longline trolling for crappie and absolutely love it. Very stable to walk around in with the extra wide beam. Deep sides for an old man with a gimpy knee and hip. The Yamaha is so quiet you can barely hear it running. Please say hello if our paths cross on the water.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a new ride, breaking her in right with fish, and having a great wife that spends time with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rick......NICE BOAT! For some reason, I have a deep passion for the Lund brand. Had the exact same boat and layout for 7 years prior to buying MY last one. Oh yeah, as you know......another Lund. Enjoy that new ride and nice to know another "Lund man" in the neighborhood. Good luck and way to go in "proving your sales pitch" to the wife. Take care, Chuck
    Capt.C........Life's short. Be a friend. Eat good. Have fun and fish hard!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice boat hope you enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the boat. I had a crestliner deep v and it may be my favorite boat ever. I now have a 21 foot carolina skiff so I can take it saltwater a litte, but really loved the deep v better for crappie and striper fishing. Enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking rig Rick. Congrats.
    And congrats to your wife on her 5+lb. Catch too.
    Thank a Veteran every chance you get.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice boat. I have the Tracker deep vee and love it. Good to get some slime on it too. Had to really wash my boat out a couple of weeks ago because it really stunk pretty bad. Chicken liver blood, catfish slime and crappie slime added up to the point in the garage that the family wouldn't go in it anymore.
    Likes mac crappie, REDBOAT LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Small world.....Rick I went to school with your Two daughters.
    Congrats on the new boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply but I do not have two daughters. I do have two sons.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Stuff View Post
    Small world.....Rick I went to school with your Two daughters.
    Congrats on the new boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the confusion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast