Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help Spider Rigging - New want want to learn how

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Spider Rigging - New want want to learn how

Okay,

Here it goes, I'm new to spider rigging, but over the years I have seen a ton of people landing crappie and I want to learn how to do it. Can someone point me to the best way to learn how to get your boat setup and work those long rods. I would live to tag along with someone to see first hand how it done.

Thanks
    Ed

Javelin 180 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also interested in learning this

Post Thanks / Like

get a good guide that spider rigs and they'll teach you all you need to know
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes BarryG, Javelin 180, yikess LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What he said!

Post Thanks / Like

I started spider rigging this year. Certainly don't know all the tricks but I caught quite a few fish doing it. Some resources I used to help learn include: Gearing Up for Spider Rigging Crappie - Wired2fish - Scout

Learn to Spider Rig Big Crappie Now - Wired2fish - Scout

Spider-Rigging Crappies - In-Fisherman

Also search YouTube and you find some instruction videos. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes broharrell, Javelin 180, chippo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman View Post
    get a good guide that spider rigs and they'll teach you all you need to know
    What he said. You will be dollars and years ahead by finding a guide that specializes in the technique you want to learn. If you don't, you will buy things you don't need and spend LOTS of time figuring out what you do have that doesn't work and what you do not have that you really need.

For example you will find a "good deal" on rods and/or reels, only to learn later on that even though they were inexpensive they do not do what you want them to do. So for as good a deal as you got you still wasted money and time.

Sometimes folks give up on a technique because it becomes frustrating putting time and $ in it with little and/or poor results.

The above was learned in real life, and it cost me time and money to learn something that could have been less expensive (not cheaper - there is a difference) and been done much more quickly, so I could be enjoying my hobby instead of getting "wrapped around the axle" (one of my daddy's terms) trying to have fun.

Good luck.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes crp4570, Javelin 180, yikess LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Post this on your state board and you might get someone to let you go with them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Redge, Javelin 180 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

it takes years to learn this by your self, I know because I had no one to teach me, but when you figure it out , you will catch some nice crappie! I done it for about 4 years then I went to single pole jigging , now thats all I do, the last 5 years my sprider rigging stuff has been sitting in the building, 16 long rods, rod holders, tons of bait just sitting there! There is no tellings how much money I spent on that stuff.
    Likes Javelin 180 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It can be a frustrating process, but man oh man is it addicting. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll hand down the advice that was handed down to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Javelin 180 LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Because crappie are depth oriented - I spider rig contour lines...

Early in the year ... Before the water reaches 55 degrees...I'll be following creek channel ledge contour lines...
    When the water reaches 55 degrees.. I'll experiment with contour lines parallel with the bank...

I'll pick a depth I think the fish will be in and stay on that contour line for several hundred yards....
    If I don't pick up any fish... I'll move the boat over 2ft deeper or shallower... And either backtrack my previous pass or continue on down the new contour line...

Once I find what depth the fish seem to be targeting... I'll stay on that contour line until the fish quit biting or until I want to move to a different area and start all over...

Spider riggin contour lines gives the benefit of setting the baits on the shallow side of the boat to a certain depth... And setting the baits on the deeper side of the boat to a certain depth and covering several hundred yards of water without constantly adjusting bait depths...

And note which side of the boat path the fish seem to be targeting to help decide which way (deeper or shallower) I need to adjust my contour target depth ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes Javelin 180, 1187mg, dlwallison LIKED above post