Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recommend a high quality 6 gal portable tank for a jon?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone recommend a high quality 6 gal portable tank for a jon?

I'm outfitting my new 14' jon and picked up an Attwood 6 gal tank from Academy. I knew there would be some expansion issues with the non-venting caps, but seriously, this tank was half filled and left overnight in my garage and looked like a sausage the next morning. And there was no temperature change to speak of(it actually got cooler at night), so I know thermal expansion didn't really take place. I'd hate to see what this tank would look like after a full day on the water in the middle of 95 degree summer, yikes.

I know I can crack the top or buy a top with an old-fashioned vent screw, but does someone make a 6 gal portable tank that is solid and rigid enough to maintain it's shape ALL THE TIME? I don't want to leave the cap cracked open while storing this tank because there will always be a gas odor in my garage.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same tank in 3.5 gal and can say that although it does look ready to blow at any time I have left it full outside in my shed over the summer and it held up despite the bloat.

I too would like to hear what others use though. I am looking for a larger tank to extend my range a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a 6 gallon steel tank in my jon.I liked it real well . Not sure if they are still made.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can buy new marine metal tanks anymore. You can buy used metal tanks on Ebay, etc. The problem with metal tanks were spark hazards, static electricity, and rust. The plastic tanks eliminated all of these problems. The plastic tanks on the other hand are not as rigid as metal being another problem. When buying a plastic tank you really need to stay with the top end expensive tanks as the cheaper ones (well you get what you pay for) are thinner and not build as well.
    Looks like the EPA controls a lot of how tanks are made now days. So by this your tank is working as it is required by EPA standards. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Moeller makes some good plastic tanks and this was on there FAQ.

Frequently Asked Questions | Moeller Marine

My new Moeller above deck tank swells up like a balloon. Why?New EPA requirements have eliminated the manual open atmospheric vent on the portable fuel tank. The tank now is required to hold up to 5 psi. before automatic pressure relief. The portable tank can handle up to 15 psi.
    I’m not sure you understand my situation. My tank cannot be venting.
    It may vent during the diurnal temperature cycles of the day. You may also manually relieve the pressure before removing the cap by using the momentary push knob on the top of the tank. With the tank not being able to vent into the atmosphere under 5 psi, the EPA has calculated that the total amount of hydrocarbon emission reduction per portable fuel tank is acceptable. This reduction greatly reduces air quality issues.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to take a look at those new tanks from Moeller. But I too had a problem with venting a plastic tank. I posted on a local fishing forum and had a guy sell me two used metal tanks for very little money. You might want to try that as well. I wonder just how many metal tanks have caused fires due to "sparks"? I've used metal tanks for over 50 years with never an issue.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Crestliner on the "sparks starting fires" issue. I had ONE plastic tank and sold it with a boat. I also found steel tanks locally, spent a lot of time cleaning them (that is another thread topic) and now rotate 3 between two boats. BUT some steel tanks don't vent just like the plastics. One of my 3 has no vent and it just builds pressure on a hot day. I have to remember because it you crack the top when it is hot and near full it will spew gas all over your hand.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

Problem solved. I'm going with an aluminum tank from Northern Tool. I put my hands on this model and the quality is very nice. Besides, I never really had a need for the "portable" feature of the plastic tanks...it never leaves my boat. Also, my battery is in the bow, so a little more weight in the stern wont be an issue.

RDS General-Purpose Marine Fuel Tank — 13-Gallon, Rectangle, Model# 59180 | Transfer Tanks| Northern Tool + Equipment

Name:  Northern Tool Aluminum tank.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  17.8 KB
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Simple fix. Go to west marine and buy a non epa compliant fuel cap. Done.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a six gallon, Attwood, that builds so much pressure that it cause a new primer bulb to fail. The fittings failed soon after. Even after I vent it it's swollen like a hotdog about to bust in the microwave. I was given a steel tank that I am in the process of cleaning. My next boat will have the aluminum tank.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the 3 gallon Tohatsu one from a dealer. I think it is made by Specter. It is much nicer than the Attwood I originally bought which expanded some and leaked badly around the cap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast