Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Reel questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Reel questions

Ok, I crappie fish sometimes during the year but not year round like most of you do. I have several crappie rods with 1000 size shimano spinning reels and these work very well. so. I just bought another crappie pole and need another reel so I was wondering about those little crappie reels than look like miniature baitcasters. What are the advantages or/or disadvantages of them???? Thanks, Mack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mack in N.C. View Post
    ... I was wondering about those little crappie reels than look like miniature baitcasters. What are the advantages or/or disadvantages of them???? Thanks, Mack
    It depends on how you fish. I just cast light jigs, so I would never use them. They're often used for trolling, though.

Post Thanks / Like

They are just line holders
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Mr. Crappie slab daddy's miniatures on my 10' and 11' jig poles. Like locator79 said just a line holder, mine don't cast I use them for vertical jigging. I suppose you could use them for trolling, but I prefer regular bait casters, line counters or spinning reels for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I cast jigs from the shore most of the time and have had pretty good luck with those $10-$15 spinning reels at Wally world - Shakespeare Durango. I have one that I've had 14lb line on and used for catfish for years, and my other one (same model of reel) with 4lb line for crappie consistently works for me on 7ft poles. I prefer cheap though - or should I say, my wife prefers me to be "frugal" when it comes to fishing. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have some on my slow trolling poles and like them.I think advantages are they are really inexpensive,lightweight and super small profile,super simple to use.I would say the disadvantages are they aren't great for fishing water to deep as they take awhile to let line out and reel it back up and I have had a few that the gears stripped out and the anti reverse wouldn't work anymore but for about $10.00 a piece I get decent life out of them and then just replace them.
    Likes eeker01 LIKED above post