Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sunday afternoon fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunday afternoon fishing

Too bad it couldn't have been a Sunday afternoon of catching as well.

Rather than sit at home waiting for my wife to get back from her trip, I headed out in the increasing breeze to see what, if anything, was biting. Not too much it turns out. Air temp right around 70, water temp's were 55-56. The wind frustrated me today something fierce. I could find nice schools with the SI easily but I couldn't control either the boat nor the lure to fish them well. They were deep, 18-20' down, just above the thermocline that is still showing at 20-22'. Wind would be from one direction for a while then switch to a slightly different quadrant for a while, then from somewhere else, etc. Not really a strong wind but more than I could overcome. I growled about it for about 3 hours and finally decided it was time to head home so as to be there when my wife arrived. Of course, you could see that things were calming down as I was leaving the ramp, not dead calm but enough to notice.

I did manage 3 crappie, 2 jumbo perch and a small bass amidst the mini cyclonic winds. They were spaced way apart so all went back in for another day of CATCHING. I also learned that you guys that can stay on a spot in the wind and jig fish are pretty good boat handlers; my hat is off to you!
    Wind seems to be my Achilles heel.

No matter the success or failure, it was a good call to be out there on a nice fall day as winter will soon be here and it will be a long 4-5 months of no fishing at all.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.
    Likes crappiebob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great effort. Sometimes it seems that no matter what you do, you can't buy a bite! Then, an hour later, all heck breaks loose!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice
    And with that, I'll see you on the water...
    John
    Remember to take your kids fishn'