Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mack Farr Popeye Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mack Farr Popeye Jigs

I bought some 1/32 oz pink head with a white tail to try on dock shooting this year. Does anyone use these trolling or dock shooting what weight and colors are your favorites?

Post Thanks / Like

since we don't have docks on the Tenn-Tom, we don't do much of that. the 1/32 oz. jigs we use very much as you would use a wet fly on a fly rod. we just flip it out to the end of our line and slowly "swim" it back to the boat. It's very much like "shooting", but we're targeting underwater structure.
    colors pretty well depend on water clarity and how much sunlight comes into play. any combination of chartruese, blue, pink, purple, or green will work. hope this helps. lol

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation C-time ...

Quote Originally Posted by Countrytime
    I bought some 1/32 oz pink head with a white tail to try on dock shooting this year. Does anyone use these trolling or dock shooting what weight and colors are your favorites?
    I've not heard of Mark Farr Popeye Jigs ... but, check my reply to a previous post, about the two "popeye jig" versions I do know about, and use : http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...popeye+pop-eye

I don't know how well a "popeye" jig will work, for shooting docks. They are mostly used, around here (Ky), for casting, float/jig casting, trolling (behind a diving crankbait), and even for FnF fishing. They're especially effective when tipped with a waxworm and under a float ... fished along rock cliffs, for spawning Bluegill and Channel Cats. FnF method is usually used to target Ky Spotted Bass ... along those same cliffs. Casting and float/jig casting are used for Crappie & Bluegill, when they're spawning or feeding in shallow water. Trolling them behind a crankbait is deadly on White Bass, Hybrid Stripers, and the occasional Crappie.
    For shooting docks, my preference is a weedless jighead (1/32-1/16oz) and a Panfish Assassin. Jighead weight is chosen for depth at which the Crappie are holding under the dock, or for fall rate (when the fish are lethargic, due to colder water, or in a neutral mood ... I'll go with the 1/32oz -- and use the 1/16oz when they're more aggressive, or holding deeper). I have also used hollow tube jig bodies, and solid tube jig bodies, with good success. But, I don't find that the "tubes" are as good at "skipping" across the waters surface, as are the Assassins ... and sometimes it's imperative that the jig be presented way back under a dock, in the darkest/most shaded area.

If you have a pretty open area, between the dock and water, you might be able to "shoot" a Popeye jig far enough under the dock to get into some Crappie ... but, unless I'm seriously mistaken, that type of jig just won't skip very well, and you'd be better served using a jig with a plastic body. At least, that's been my experience.
    Of course, this all depends on exactly what a Mark Farr Popeye Jig is .... I'm assuming that it's a ball head jighead with feather, hair, or marabou body/tail, and painted head with large eyes painted on (in opposing or contrasting color). No plastic body or chenille wrap body involved. That's basically what the two "popeye" jigs, I know about, are ... so, if your MFPJ is not the same, then I apologize for the assumption. ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrytime
    I shoot docks with a popeye that I make with no problems. I like A 1/32 ounce the best.I mainly tie mine with hair instead of feathers for dock shooting. Good luck with your jigs