Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibergass or Aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fibergass or Aluminum

What would hold a higher value,fiberglass or a aluminum boat????I have been looking at Triton Ta196,and I like the looks of the War Eagle.And how they would ride in rough water,fiberglass vs aluminum????I know the price rage on the Ta is around $23200 for a plain one don't have a price on the war eagle??861 Predator

Post Thanks / Like

The glass boats will always hold a higher resale value than a metal boat. But they cost more than a metal boat does. You have to ask yourself what you would rather have. There is nothing wrong with a metal boat if that is what you want. I had and guided out of a metal boat for years. And I loved that boat. I changed to a glass boat because of the comfort. Both in the ride and the fishing. You don't get beat up near as much in a glass boat. Or at least I don't in the glass boat that I have. I have a new TA-196 and I could not be more happy than I am with this boat. Like I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with a metal boat. There are advantages and disadvantages with both of them. But after owning this new Triton, I will never be with out one just like this one.
    My 2 cents worth.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

there is one thing common to both types of boats. Neither can be considered a good investment. If you buy one, you gotta plan on using it. You will never recover your investment.
    the aluminum boat is a lot lighter than the glass. a smaller vehicle will pull a light aluminum boat. you can use smaller engines on the aluminum and get adequate performance. the aluminum will be affected by wind more than glass, because of the lighter weight. by the same token the glass will ride in rough water better that the aluminum because of the extra weight. that doesn't mean the glass is a drier riding boat, it just means the added weight handles the shock of hitting waves a lot better.

the aluminum costs less to buy and operate than a heavy glass boat. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to buy fiberglass you had better have a cement floor garage to keep it in, out of the sun. The Lund (sp) is a great boat. They use them in big waters up north and in Alaska. I do not own a Lund but I sure would look at them, if I were in the market. I have a Boston Whaler, in the garage and a seventeen-foot aluminum South fork. I fish out of the South fork 80% of the time.
    Last edited by WhitePerchJerker; 02-19-2007 at 05:38 AM.
    1967/68

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

SCRAPE, GOUGE, BASH, BANG, are all things you do around docks and sharp objects while fishing. Gel coat and fiberglass has a tendency to leave glitter and flaks in the water when you hit something. Aluminum looses pant and can be re painted and fixed. I have both and for the every day fishing in the ruff I take the aluminum. Now you have to knock on them to tell the difference. Glitter and weight is the things you can live without and have a great time on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with everything said here and add that if you decide on aluminum, which I would do, you can get an aluminum triton that will be pretty much identical to the glass one.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

My aluminum Xpress rides as good and is as dry as any boat I have ever ridden in. It is 18' long & 87" across the beam so it's steady and takes the wind good. Will run 49mph with a Yamaha 115 2 stroke.(Have yet to catch a fish running that fast). Have hit a stump running 30+mph and launched the complete boat out of the water and it still floats and doesnt even leak. I like my aluminum boat.

This is my personal opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Up to you

Quote Originally Posted by Love To Fish
    What would hold a higher value,fiberglass or a aluminum boat????I have been looking at Triton Ta196,and I like the looks of the War Eagle.And how they would ride in rough water,fiberglass vs aluminum????I know the price rage on the Ta is around $23200 for a plain one don't have a price on the war eagle??861 Predator

What all are you going to do with this boat? They both have there pros and cons. You might try to look for a metal boat the same size as a glass boat. Here in AR we have some boat companies that will build whatever you want in one. I think War Eagle is about to do just that for the crappie fishermen. If you don't have a place to keed a glass boat inside it will harder on it.

Have had both and now have two metal boats.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Big lakes such as Kentucky Lake...fiberglass without a question for me.

Smaller lakes w/ lots of stumps....aluminum.

Just depends on where you spend most of your time.

Post Thanks / Like

its getting to the point they are making aluminum rides as smooth as glass.... in the same token they are starting to make glass boats almost as light as aluminum.

ive owned both glass and aluminum and for as ruff as i am with a boat i will take aluminum all day long....the days of going 60 + mph are over for me so i dont need the glass boat advantages. but the aluminum boat sure does take a pounding on the lake, but then again, its a flatbottom river boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast