Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life is good!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Life is good!

Another great day at my crappie hole. Arrived on station at 8:30 a.m. and left at 2:30 p.m. I had a limit of crappie....15 at Nickajack.....all 11 inches or better....had several dozen more 7-10 inch crappie also. Had a nice Smallie and a nice Spot....along with another 5 Spots at the 8-10 inch mark that put up a great fight on the UL. All fish caught on a Bison colored Trout Magnet. The rod today was the Major Craft FineTail Banshee Area 6' 7" trout rod solid tip model.....rated for 1.5-5 pound test line, and 1/100-1/5 ounce lure weight. The reel was a Daiwa Certate 2004CH spooled with SOS 2# test line. It was a bluebird day with clear water. I started out with a 1/16 ounce jig head with a #8 hook. I caught 3 crappie with that and the bite stopped. Well the old saying goes "You got to go with what brought you here". So added 2 feet of Phantom fluro leader and I tied on the 1/64 Trout Magnet jig head with a size "B" split shot. It took a long count to get down to where the fish were...40 seconds......but the bite stayed steady after that. Crappie were 12-14 feet deep holding tight to the channel wall. I caught around three dozen 6-7 inch bluegill also. Just another great day. Life is good!

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    Likes Cane Pole, funfishers, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great day for sure! Glad ya back at em.

Post Thanks / Like

very good day

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a fine catch and indeed a good day.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done!

Post Thanks / Like

Good post, I always look forward to reading all your post. In fact I bought some Bison Trout Magnets and am going to try them very shortly.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That Bison colored Magnet looks more like a larvae/worm/bug than it does a "fish" ... does it seem to catch more Black Crappie than White Crappie, from waters where they both reside. Or do you specifically target either specie, or just whichever one is a willing subject ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    That Bison colored Magnet looks more like a larvae/worm/bug than it does a "fish" ... does it seem to catch more Black Crappie than White Crappie, from waters where they both reside. Or do you specifically target either specie, or just whichever one is a willing subject ??
    Most of my crappie spots hold a majority of black crappie. It does well for me at Nickajack...Center Hill...Dale Hollow. At Pickwick they prefer something bigger....such as a Crappie Magnet...or a ThunderHawk Dancer. Your observation is spot on. I catch more crappie at Nickajack with the Trout Magnet. I wondered about why that was so one day about 5 years ago....when I first started fishing there.....I started checking stomach contents when filleting my catch. More often than not they were full of tiny black worms....of course they had minnows in them too....but a lot of worms. So I have kept it up and it is rare when fishing there that I use anything else. The spot I fish has a big ebb and flow current movement. At times it is so strong it will muddy the edges of the channel and my theory is....which don't amount to much......larvae...worms....or whatever they are...are washed into the water.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post. I especially love that last picture. Would make a great "desktop".
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast