Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Howdy to all up in the cold country!!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Howdy to all up in the cold country!!

Just wanting to get in here and say howdy. The wife and I are travelers and plan to be in the Buffalo area sometime in May. Will be there from May to about the end of August. Just how is the crappie fishing in the spring/summer time up that way??? Will want to also try our hand at some walleyes.
    Have met some really fine people in this forum. Joined while in MO. and have fished there, TX and now in FL.
    If you don't mind, and since it is a bit cold to be out, how bout a few tips on how things are done up that way. Is Erie the place to fish, or is some of the local lakes better??? How easy is it to find minnows, or do you mostly jig? What is the best way to find/fish for walleyes?
    Everytime we move into a different state, it is a learning process, but with the help of the people on this crappie.com, it has made life a lot less difficult and we have met a lot of really nice people.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to be in Buffalo or near it? Fishing around buffalo is AWSOME!! Upper and lower Niagara river, Ontario, Erie, and many tributaries and small lakes close by. Do you have a boat and how far do you want to drive to fish? What species besides walleye and crappies, because there is almost everything nearby.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Grizz,
    Yes, got a boat. It's a 19.5' center c. with 115 opti. GPS/depth, riptide troll.......everything is set up for salt since we fish a lot of both. As far as being in or out of Buffalo, the wife is a travel nurse, so it will probably be pretty close to there.
    Not use to traveling more than 50-60 miles to go fish. Could, but use up all that line time driving. Right now, boat is in the water in a canal about 30feet from the trailer. Do pull it and go to salt once or twice a month, but that is normally for an overnighter since it is about 100 miles.
    Not use to fishing up north, so don't really know what else to go far cept the crappie and wallys. Stayed 3 years in Fairbanks, AK while in the service, but sure the fishing up there is different than around Buffalo. Am easy though and willing to try what ever the locals do to put a few in the pan.
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, buffalo is like 5 hours from me over in Saratoga, NY.
    Bummer, I'd get ya out, but that is one heck of a drive to fish a few hours.
    Looks like Grizz has got ya some info. I've never been in that area but know that the fishing all through out NY is awesome.
    Wish I could help ya, if you are ever in the Saratoga/Albany area look me up. I'll hook you and any other member here up with some fishing.
    Good luck and tight lines.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

There is more variety of fishing within a half hour of buffalo than just about any place I've ever been. Its one of the things about buffalo that doesn't get out to the public too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Geeze louise & I thought you were coming to Buffalo Mn.eh!
    The eh is my canadain accent.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks camofish. Got some news today. Dad was put in hospital for CHF so may have to change plans and go back to texas till aug., then up yalls way. Any good fall/late summer fishing in the area?? Looking forward to it for sure, just have to take things as they come.
    Dsuty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by centerdriver
    Any good fall/late summer fishing in the area??
    Boy o boy, that time of year the stealhead and salmon run up the rivers to spawn and it can be one heck of a fight with those fish.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by centerdriver
    Thanks camofish. Got some news today. Dad was put in hospital for CHF so may have to change plans and go back to texas till aug., then up yalls way. Any good fall/late summer fishing in the area?? Looking forward to it for sure, just have to take things as they come.
    Dsuty
    In my humble but accurate opinion its the best fishing time of the year. :D Check out my website below.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-01-2007 at 11:15 PM.