Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: why so long?

Post Thanks / Like

Default why so long?

I was looking at the cabelas site for a new crappie pole, but have never noticed why the rods are so long. I usually fish with a ultralite setup and 3lb line. Is longer better?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the application and what you feel comfortable with. I have rods ranging from 4.5 feet to 16 feet. I troll using rods from 9 feet to 16 feet. I have seen some people troll using only 7 footers because that is what they like. When I am fishing minnows with a cork or pitching jigs then I usually don't go any longer than 7 foot, but will sometimes use the 9 footer to reach in amongst a tree top without bumping the branches with the boat. I use my 4.5 footers a lot for pitching jigs and spinner baits. Just use what is comfortable for your style of fishing. When I first started out I primarily use rods in the 6.5 to 7 foot range. When I started experimenting with other techniques I started to buy more rods in different lengths. I don't have the top of the line equipment, but I have what will fit my budget and my style of fishing, which will vary depending on the time of year and what the fish are doing.
    Hope I was able to shed some light on this for you. There are a lot of experts on this board who will be more than happy to share some of their insight with you on this topic.

Post Thanks / Like

The longer poles are used when spider rigging to get your bait or jig out away from your trolling motor. See pic below.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I fish from shore a lot and longer rods are a definite plus. You can cast farther with them and control fish better. You can really move a lot of line on the hookset as well.

I have rods from 4.5' to 14'. I use the 12-14 footers the most.