Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: best bait for bluegill

Post Thanks / Like

Default best bait for bluegill

I have a local pond by my house that is LOADED with bluegill. I usually fish with the regular old night crawlers, but was looking for somthing a bit more potant. What do you reccomend? Somebody said that waxworms were good, but i dont know.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

panfish worms,grubs,corn,small crikets is what i use...all deadly bait for bluegills.

also seen people use bread or cheese...but doesn't stay on the hook well...

Post Thanks / Like

Any small grub is excellent. Wax worms and mealworms are very good, but maggots are my top bait. You can order all three at Grubco (see link above.)

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to use an ultra light with a beetle spin. You can always add your other bait to the beetle if needed. A small piece of shrimp works good sometimes too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

In a series of very unscientific tests, I pit the beetle spin against my much beloved maggots. These tests occurred over a period of about a month and a half in very similar conditions. Although I caught fish on the beetle spin, the maggots out-produced them by as much as 10 or 12 to 1.

The beetle spin (and similar-sized artificials) will tend to attract only the bigger gills, but maggots will attract all sizes. The biggest I got on maggots (about 10") were actually slightly bigger than the ones I got on the beetle spin.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a tube of crickets and you will fill your bucket in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

open a wasp nest use the grubs out of it works good . as does can corn
    crickets are tops also.

Post Thanks / Like

By far the best bait I've ever used is the brim reaper.

See the following link: www.blueribbonlures.com

Post Thanks / Like

Two things...
    I love to fish big bluegill....two different ways....
    I have really nailed them in nearby water on crickets. Things heat up fast on the water, but don't let them get away from you on the boat. They can be a nusiance to sit and listen to the "lost" ones.
    Second, I absolutely SLAY THEM on a flyrod and a small popper. They are a ton of fun to catch on a flyrod, and it is very, very effective.

Post Thanks / Like

The very best bait I have ever used to catch gills are Catalpa worms. The only problem with them is they are only on the Catalpa trees for a very short time and only once per year. Break them suckers in half and hook them with the juice end at the point of the hook and hold on. 2nd would be crickets.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast