Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fontana , October 08.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fontana , October 08.

I took a friend and we arrived around 4 hours later. We had an impromptu competition , minnows/worms , and neither of us had gotten anything. As the evening progressed , we were fishing in 80 FOW , and lowering the baits to different depths. I picked up one of the GX2 rods , and I was hoping to break it in. I used 2 different sizes of minnows , from 1 to 5 inches on the heavier rod. My friend was talking to me , and tapped the rod while articulating. The rod moved again , and I set the hook. It ended up being a crappie , about 10 inches , caught 25' down. It was the first crappie I've ever caught there , and one of the larger ones I've caught to this point in terms of lateral thickness. Tried for more , but came up short. Ended the trip with the crappie for me , and a 14inch smallmouth for my friend , who I am suspicious of insofar as catching the fish. The smallmouth was caught at Santeetlah , along with nothing else. It was odd , we fished the pier 2 rods each. I had a 5 inch minnow on the heavier setup , and the smaller minnows on the GX2. Left the lines in the water , and went to the car. Returned 5 minutes later to him telling me about the 'monster' in the bag. He said he caught it on 'one of your baits' , when I checked my lines the heavier setup had been wound up to 4" below the surface , minnow gone. Asked him again , he says 'spinnerbait'. I wont take him anymore if this proves to be the case.
    Last edited by Mintaka; 10-11-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    Likes brucec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like your report's. Thank you for posting. Were is your do you live?

Post Thanks / Like

In Charlotte , not too far from Wylie. Whenever I head up there , it takes anywhere from 3.5 to 4 hours , depending on weather , number of stops , and traffic. If I happen to catch more , I'll make sure the camera is charged. Also , I'd never caught anything there at night , so I was less than optimistic. The time of year for mixed bags up there is here , so I will likely be heading back soon. Really , now that I think about it , that was the first crappie caught this year. Hopefully fall will be similar to the fishing up there in late March through early May.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for giving us a report. I always read your reports, on the other site.......
    Likes brucec, Mintaka LIKED above post