Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fishing line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing line

Looking for some new line since I have started spider rigging. Overwhelmed by all the choices. looking for something in the 12 to 14 pound range for my main line. Looking for a line with low memory and all around good line. Any suggestions

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally use the vicious 6 lb yeller line for every thing. I do not use a heavier main line.
    Likes g6463, TN. WATERSHED LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do not spider rig. My mind says use a 6-8 Lb. braid, for it's thin diameter to cut the water, then a 4Lb. fluorocarbon leader. just my 2 cents worth.
    I thought fish trembled when they heard my name.......then I heard the laughter
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I started using the Cajun line in 15 pound. I really do like how it is holding up

Post Thanks / Like

I had in mind like a 10 to 12 main then a 6 or 8 leader that way I can bend my hooks out of
    snags.

Post Thanks / Like

Use 6-8 Hi Vis. Trust me it's a lot less frustrating having a rig break than it is breaking a pole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes yikess, Slabprowler, captcall LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishbrain View Post
    Looking for some new line since I have started spider rigging. Overwhelmed by all the choices. looking for something in the 12 to 14 pound range for my main line. Looking for a line with low memory and all around good line. Any suggestions
    I have three 14' rods :
    on one I use 30lb braid (lo-vis green), then a 2ft leader of 6lb test. I dare say I will never have to change my main line. I doubt the braid has to be "brand name" at that pound test, to last for many years (decades ).
    >on another I have 17lb test Cortland Braided Dacron as the main line (same length/#test leader)
    > and the third has ??lb test Maxima (red) w/same length/#test leader.

I've caught fish on all three, so the main line hasn't seemed to make much difference ... as far as color/diameter. The leaders are either clear/blu or hi-vis (chartreuse) and that hasn't seemed to make any difference, either.

If you are simply going to "spider rig" .... I'd fill the reels with cheap bulk line, then finish off with "good" line of a length that will meet your most extreme depths (or trolling distance, if you longline or pull/push cranks). That's referring to using baitcast reels, of course. Spinning reels need only be filled with whatever "main line" you decide upon.

FWIW ... the reels with Dacron & Maxima main lines are not filled totally with those lines (as the lo-vis braid reel is) ... they have braided lines filling most of the spool & topped off with the Dacron & Maxima. The Dacron line is over 40yrs old, and the Maxima is probably over half that old ... and both are still performing very well.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how big the crappie get in your part of the country but 14# seems a bit much. Usually a 10# Main line with a 6# or 8# leader works pretty good. Hi-Vis P-line or Vicious for your main line with an 8# clear leader should serve you well.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

P line XX strong

Post Thanks / Like

I don't spider rig ...and I don't long line ....we just roll up on em and ketch em ...4 to 6 lb test on most of my stuff
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes DRFISHDUCK, Dollfly LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast