Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: When lakes turn over

Post Thanks / Like

Default When lakes turn over

What do you do and where do you look for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

On YouTube, another body of water, or go stock up on supplies. But if your primary lake is turning over, wait until she is done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Likes Hanr3, chaunc LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mkeller View Post
    What do you do and where do you look for crappie
    I usually don't go ... but, if/when I do & find it turning over, I'll look for sections of the lake that hasn't started turning over. Usually the whole lake doesn't turn at the same time. In those areas that haven't turned over, I look for them to be around wood cover in 15-18fow @ 8-10ft deep (if the water temps are still above 60deg). In the turned over areas, they could be most anywhere in the water column, since the thermocline no longer exists.

This year things seem to be several weeks behind schedule. Our waters are still in the mid 70's for surface temps, and don't cool off much down to near 30ft deep ... so I'm expecting any turnover to occur later than normal.

Post Thanks / Like

some years some won't and some years it's not too bad. If it's really bad I look for another place to fish. But usually adverse water conditions pulls fish tight to cover and and a depth that is has stable temps and oxygen....that varies depending on the lake average depth and also how much vegetation if any it has. 15ft deep in some lakes is considered shallow and in another deep.

Post Thanks / Like

When our lakes turn over it ruins the fishing for about two weeks. The fish scatter everywhere. All patterns are gone...
    When the lake turns over, I tend to yard/house work so I can go fishing when things settle down. Gets the honey do list down to keep she-who-is happy.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

When they scatter everywhere can't you still target shad schools to locate fish? Was fishing a small lake a week or two ago and kept 46 longlinig, the next trip a lot of stuff floating in the water and was tough fishing. We had 5 to 6" of rain since with a lot of flow out the lake, water was alittle stained yesterday but not any floating mossy stuff and the fishing was better. Appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts on this.

Post Thanks / Like

When a lake turns over it mixes the oxygen rich water with the oxygen depleted water creating dead zones. Let me back up a second. During the summer the water on the bottom of the lake generally has very little to no oxygen and thus there are only certain species of fish that can live down there, if at all. Generally the line that separates oxygen rich water from water without oxygen is called the thermocline. That cold water has no to little oxygen and weighs more than warmer water. No sense fishing below it because crappie can't live down there. When the winter winds start to blow that cold air cools the top of the lake making the water on top heavier than the water below it. Now those two bodies have to switch places, warm water moves to the top and cold water moves to the bottom. This cycle happens repeatedly until the lake stabilizes. During this time of change fish are fighting to survive and that means finding water they can live in. You can fish it, however you won't be able to put together a pattern and catch fish consistently. You may get lucky from time to time. For me, I have more pressing things to worry about at this time. I need to prepare the yard for winter, stack firewood, clean/store patio furniture, get oil changes/ car repairs done so I'm not doing them in sub-zero weather, etc. Inside the house we are preparing for winter too, swapping out summer clothes for winter clothes, preparing the house for holiday guests, touch up repairs/painting, etc. When the chores are done and the lakes have stabilized, its back to fishing/hunting...

Mother nature has a flow, you can fight it or follow it. Much easier to follow it. You will increase your happiness and success greatly.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes mac LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hanr3..well said
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good info, thanks from a newbie Hanr3

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post