Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Bait Pump Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Bait Pump Thread

I have never used a bait pump so I don't know all the details, however; from reading the closed thread on bait pumps I ordered one yesterday. While I am waiting for it to arrive I figured I'd try some alternate ideas expressed in the bait pump thread. Bought a small needle (doesn't have a needle) type pump. Only cost .39 cents at Tractor Supply. Thought maybe the opening where the paste comes out, might be a bit too small. Made a stop at Walmart and went to the pharmacy. They had something similar which the women just gave me a couple free of charge. She said if they don't work, just throw them away. Free (must have been my charming personality) Still thinking the end where the nuggets comes out to be too small, I decided to try "Smelly Jelly" which I have had in the garage refrigerator a couple years. Waited over night for the jelly to soften up and then put it in the tube. I think thinner than the nuggets, it worked like a charm. I bought the smelly jelly mail order and never used it because it was messy and I didn't want it all over the boat. Putting it in the small pump type needle keeps it mess free, so I will be trying it. I am storing the full needle type pump in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator. Because the Smelly Jelly solidifies in the fridge I will take it out the night before I go fishing, Pop

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pop ... I gave the "oral syringe" a trial, just to see if it would indeed work as I thought it would. It did work well. The "oral syringe" tip works better than a regular IV (needle) type syringe, because the oral syringe only has the tip and not the surrounding threaded portion needed to hold the needle in place. The oral syringe I tested was a 10ml size, and the extrusion of nibbles is rather small, but will fill the hollow body of a 1.5-2" tube bait with no problems.

I thought that putting on the "cap", that comes with these syringes, would allow me to leave the nibbles within ... but, after a couple of months they were dried to the point where they couldn't even be dislodged from the syringe. The syringe sat that long because I wasn't actually using the nibbles ... just "testing" the idea.

It was not my intent to dissuade anyone from purchasing the Bait Pump ... but, merely as a "poor man's alternative".

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy, Oral Syringe is what I used, just couldn't think of the proper description. I used 6mm which I think describes the tube size as all the tips appear to be the same. The Smelly Jelly seems more fluid than the nibbles and I don't think will harden over time. I'll take the syringe out of the fridge and see how it is after a month or two. Thanks for the input. Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked. The oral syringe I purchased was 6mm but from Walmart they gave me 10mm which is what I used also. Pop

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pop View Post
    Just checked. The oral syringe I purchased was 6mm but from Walmart they gave me 10mm which is what I used also. Pop
    Yeah, my first attempt was with a 5ml oral syringe, but it was real hard to push the nibbles through ... so I went to the 10ml size and it worked much better. And being a "syringe", it was usable with one hand ... something the Bait Pump owners were complaining about (not being able to operate one-handed).

(I was "working" back in those days, and had access to any size oral syringe I wanted to try, as I was a Registered Pharmacy Technician at a local hospital & was very familiar with them. )