Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranger or Triton?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ranger or Triton?

I'm looking to upgrade my crappie boat this spring. I've had an 17' aluminum Ranger Cherokee since '95, and I've been more than happy with it, but I am wanting to upgrade to a longer (19-21 ft.), heavier, fiberglass Ranger or Triton. Any advantages in one make over the other?

Thanks for any info.

crappieranger
    You don't know if you don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

Triton has a big name because of B.A.S.S. running them and they are fine boats. If I were to go with a fiberglass it would be either Bass Cat or Ranger after riding and fishing in all three of them.

But with the areas that I fish, the fiberglass rig would be getting repaired too often or I would miss out on alot of good fishing to keep that from happening. Triton, Xpress, War Eagle, G3, and Excel all build hulls like glass boats that are heavy and can handle 150hp+ outboards.

Post Thanks / Like

actuallly... stratos is the best bang for dollar.... you can get almost same thing in a 50k ranger as you can a 40 k stratos

ask bass fisherman who have fished both and even ranger owners will say a stratos handles ruff water better and has a better front deck

you are paying alot for name in a ranger

triton i am not sure about.

Post Thanks / Like

I own a triton and have it since they first started making them, and everyone that has been it loves it. Most of my friends say it rides better than anything they have been in. I have not had any problems with it at all, I will say the price on them now, its more than what I would want to pay.
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

I own a Ranger Comanche 19'6" with a 200 Merc and it is a heck of a boat. I can't imagine a Better ride. If I were looking for a new boat it would be aluminum. When I go on vacation for a couple of weeks I know why it has a 52 gal fuel tank! The cost of gas would make me look at a lighter boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what your talking about. My opinion that I'm about to give you is based on the fact that all I ever fish for is crappie. I did own a 19' Triton but traded it in on a Ranger. The Triton was a faster boat but I didn't like how narrow it was on the front deck. Also, I had put two pedestal mounts up front so I could fish two people side by side. I had to put the pedestal mounts on the rod locker doors and when anyone needed to get in the locker, someone had to get up and remove the seat and pedestal. When I ordered my Ranger, I had them put two pedestal mounts in the front deck from the factory and I gained 7 more inches between the two seats. The Ranger does handle better and rides a little smoother. But your going to get different opinions from everyone because most people use their boat for bass and crappie. I do think the Triton is layed out better for bass than the Ranger. Also, I understand that the new Tritons have a different hull and now handle better. Now, if you are a die hard crappie fisherman and speed is not high on your priority list, the most ultimate crappie boat that I have ever seen is a Ranger Fisherman. It was so wide up front that it had room for three people to sit side by side on the front deck. It was ordered from the factory with three pedestal mounts. It also has a small livewell up front so you didn't have to throw your fish all the way to the back too. Something else to consider is your dealership. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world if you have problems.
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a new owner of a two time used, 2006 Triton TA 196 Crappie Edition from Triton with a 2007 Mercury Optimax 150 h.p. I was fortunate to find a slightly used one and would highly recommend you look at that model. You can get it with detachable carpet and it has three seat positions in the front of the boat. It easily fishes two out of the front and one from the rear. It has a front baitwell/livewell along with another in the rear.

Check them out at:

www.tritonboats.com

Look under bass boats then click on the TA196 and you can observe the layout. The boat is 19 and one-half feet long. In West Texas with the high winds we often encounter, it has been great in dealing with big waves and fishes excellent , realize we do not have an over abundance of stumps to encounter, but the wind is our biggest foe.

Regards,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an '02 Stratos 20 XL Prostar and almost every other boat owner of other brands that has been in mine says it rides better in rough water and they were impressed with the hole shot. Only fella that didn't make a similiar comment was a Ranger Comanche owner but I don't blame him...I wouldn't admit to a $10,000 mistake either. But seriously, the only thing I would like to change in my Stratos is there needs to be a livewell in the front deck and I have no idea why they didn't add insulation around the drink cooler.. ice is gone in no time.
    Forbidden fruits make for some real jams.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a Stratos 201xl pro handles ruff water great and lots of deck
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I own a 2003 Ranger Comanche 520 and if i had it to do all over i would buy an aluminum boat.The Ranger rides great and fishes great but is sooooooooooo heavy.And if ya fish the timber you will spend alot of time flinchin everytime you hear it scrape or run up on something.
    My opinion is that theres are some Great aluminum boats out there now that ride good and had Crappie on the minds of the builders who designed them.:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast