PDA

View Full Version : Ranger or Triton?

crappieranger
02-18-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm looking to upgrade my crappie boat this spring. I've had an 17' aluminum Ranger Cherokee since '95, and I've been more than happy with it, but I am wanting to upgrade to a longer (19-21 ft.), heavier, fiberglass Ranger or Triton. Any advantages in one make over the other?

Thanks for any info.

crappieranger

Illinois_angler
02-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Triton has a big name because of B.A.S.S. running them and they are fine boats. If I were to go with a fiberglass it would be either Bass Cat or Ranger after riding and fishing in all three of them.

But with the areas that I fish, the fiberglass rig would be getting repaired too often or I would miss out on alot of good fishing to keep that from happening. Triton, Xpress, War Eagle, G3, and Excel all build hulls like glass boats that are heavy and can handle 150hp+ outboards.

suey
02-18-2007, 11:01 AM
actuallly... stratos is the best bang for dollar.... you can get almost same thing in a 50k ranger as you can a 40 k stratos

ask bass fisherman who have fished both and even ranger owners will say a stratos handles ruff water better and has a better front deck

you are paying alot for name in a ranger

triton i am not sure about.

fingerlicken
02-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I own a triton and have it since they first started making them, and everyone that has been it loves it. Most of my friends say it rides better than anything they have been in. I have not had any problems with it at all, I will say the price on them now, its more than what I would want to pay.

TAZ
02-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I own a Ranger Comanche 19'6" with a 200 Merc and it is a heck of a boat. I can't imagine a Better ride. If I were looking for a new boat it would be aluminum. When I go on vacation for a couple of weeks I know why it has a 52 gal fuel tank! The cost of gas would make me look at a lighter boat.

sixfin
02-18-2007, 01:17 PM
I understand what your talking about. My opinion that I'm about to give you is based on the fact that all I ever fish for is crappie. I did own a 19' Triton but traded it in on a Ranger. The Triton was a faster boat but I didn't like how narrow it was on the front deck. Also, I had put two pedestal mounts up front so I could fish two people side by side. I had to put the pedestal mounts on the rod locker doors and when anyone needed to get in the locker, someone had to get up and remove the seat and pedestal. When I ordered my Ranger, I had them put two pedestal mounts in the front deck from the factory and I gained 7 more inches between the two seats. The Ranger does handle better and rides a little smoother. But your going to get different opinions from everyone because most people use their boat for bass and crappie. I do think the Triton is layed out better for bass than the Ranger. Also, I understand that the new Tritons have a different hull and now handle better. Now, if you are a die hard crappie fisherman and speed is not high on your priority list, the most ultimate crappie boat that I have ever seen is a Ranger Fisherman. It was so wide up front that it had room for three people to sit side by side on the front deck. It was ordered from the factory with three pedestal mounts. It also has a small livewell up front so you didn't have to throw your fish all the way to the back too. Something else to consider is your dealership. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world if you have problems.

Mud-Dabber
02-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I am a new owner of a two time used, 2006 Triton TA 196 Crappie Edition from Triton with a 2007 Mercury Optimax 150 h.p. I was fortunate to find a slightly used one and would highly recommend you look at that model. You can get it with detachable carpet and it has three seat positions in the front of the boat. It easily fishes two out of the front and one from the rear. It has a front baitwell/livewell along with another in the rear.

Check them out at:

www.tritonboats.com

Look under bass boats then click on the TA196 and you can observe the layout. The boat is 19 and one-half feet long. In West Texas with the high winds we often encounter, it has been great in dealing with big waves and fishes excellent , realize we do not have an over abundance of stumps to encounter, but the wind is our biggest foe.

Regards,
Mud-Dabber

Moonshine
02-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I've got an '02 Stratos 20 XL Prostar and almost every other boat owner of other brands that has been in mine says it rides better in rough water and they were impressed with the hole shot. Only fella that didn't make a similiar comment was a Ranger Comanche owner but I don't blame him...I wouldn't admit to a $10,000 mistake either. :) But seriously, the only thing I would like to change in my Stratos is there needs to be a livewell in the front deck and I have no idea why they didn't add insulation around the drink cooler.. ice is gone in no time.

roybuoy
02-18-2007, 05:02 PM
I prefer a Stratos 201xl pro handles ruff water great and lots of deck

hogster
02-18-2007, 05:10 PM
I own a 2003 Ranger Comanche 520 and if i had it to do all over i would buy an aluminum boat.The Ranger rides great and fishes great but is sooooooooooo heavy.And if ya fish the timber you will spend alot of time flinchin everytime you hear it scrape or run up on something.
My opinion is that theres are some Great aluminum boats out there now that ride good and had Crappie on the minds of the builders who designed them.:D

1weezer
02-18-2007, 05:26 PM
I have a Triton TA-196 and am very happy with this boat. This is the first glass boat I have ever had and can honestly say that my next boat will be another one just like this one.
Plus this boat was made for crappie fishing. They did a very good job building this boat.

russ
02-18-2007, 06:31 PM
I own a Triton TA 196, which is the 19 1/2 ft. Crappie boat. I use this now on the Midwest Crappie shows and I LOVE IT!!!

Russ

bobberdown
02-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Triton, Stratos, Ranger, Forest Woods, Earl Bentz, Bowling?, What do they all have in common? Brunswick!

LIL' Joe
02-18-2007, 07:41 PM
I currently have a Ranger, but my next one will be a Triton. My partner had a TR20 that was just awesome on front desk space, and ride performance. I have been following Triton for the last year, and have only heard good things about their support.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=48

IwishIdid
02-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I have a 522 Ranger and my tournament partner has a Stratos 22 Extreme. And we fish about 125-150 days a year. The Ranger is by far the better ride and better rough water boat. The Stratos is the faster (by about 20mph) boat. The Ranger is almost one foot wider on the front deck and has a lot better laid out storage for crappie. This is sort of a Ford versus Chevy argument, that has pros and cons for each. I think the Stratos has a better livewell system and a few more amenities, like a heated driver seat, built in weather sensors, and a deeper cockpit. Ranger carries a whole lot better resale and I believe is a stronger hull. The Tritons are a real close design to the Stratos since Earl Bentz was involved with Stratos to begin with. The 22 Extreme chine walks extremely bad when its on step, the Ranger won't get on the step. This could go on for days, the best thing is to buy what you like. I have had to rig all of my boats to how I want to fish so seats pedestals and all that don't matter to me. I want a stable boat when presenting bait and I get that from the Ranger. I have yet to catch a fish at 70 mph!

caseydrew
02-18-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm currently running a Triton TR20 Special Edition w/ a Merc. 225 EFI and have been very happy w/ this boat, but it cost an arm and a leg. I've owned several fiberglass boats and would have to say that my "BASSCAT" was probably my best bang for the buck!

Make sure you give Basscat a look before buying anything...this is coming from a happy Triton owner. I do believe most all the newer fiberglass manufacturers make nice boats though.

crappie10
02-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I have a Ranger R81 with a 175 and a Lowe with a 25. I take the R81 out on the big lake and when the kids go. I take the Lowe when I go up the river or fish smaller lakes with a hp limit. It just depends on where you fish. With a smaller boat there will be days you can't go out and with a big boat, there are places you can't get in. The Ford/Chevy, Ranger/Triton thing is just what you make of it. Find a good dealer, close by and he will help you get a boat that will fit your needs. The fish don't care if it's a 50k Ranger or a canoe. I have noticed that Tritons don't have the resale value and are for sale longer than Rangers. You might get a better deal on a used Triton.
jc

Illinois_angler
02-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Triton, Stratos, Ranger, Forest Woods, Earl Bentz, Bowling?, What do they all have in common? Brunswick!
Neither Stratos or Ranger are owned by Brunswick if that's what you meant.

IwishIdid
02-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Ranger is owned by some Jann Marr or something.

Don G
02-19-2007, 08:08 AM
http://www.genmar.com/brands.cfm

Just another huge company....I guess this is why Bass Cat has won the last 3 JD Power awards for customer satisfaction.....Family owned & operated....Mountain Home,Arkansas......

http://www.brunswick.com/boats.html

Take a look at how many they own!!!!!!

suey
02-19-2007, 01:34 PM
pretty soon walmart will own them all LOL

hopsing the crappie king
02-19-2007, 03:18 PM
bullet,take a look at some!

possumcop
02-19-2007, 06:18 PM
HOGSTER is right on the money. Ranger is HEAVY and that is is greeeaaaat for crappie fishing. Capps and Coleman fish out of one so I bought one too!!!!!! The deep v in the front is great for boat control. I have owned 2 Stratos boats before and there is nothing wrong with them, but my Ranger fishes and rides so much better. There is more room up front where you do most of your business. They are somewhat slower but are wide and heavy.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-19-2007, 08:52 PM
If you are More than happy with Ranger. Why would you take a chance on anything else? I also own a Ranger Cherokee 2001. I can't find anything bad to say about it. I would like to upgrade to a bigger boat someday. Look at the resale value of Ranger boats that should tell you something.

CrappiePappy
02-20-2007, 07:01 AM
http://www.genmar.com/brands.cfm

Just another huge company....I guess this is why Bass Cat has won the last 3 JD Power awards for customer satisfaction.....Family owned & operated....Mountian Home,Arkansas......

http://www.brunswick.com/boats.html

Take a look at how many they own!!!!!!

Brunswick owns Mercury ... and that's why you can only get Mercs on some brands of boats !!

Do you remember when the name "Brunswick" was only associated with "BOWLING" :eek: :p ........ cp :cool:

Don G
02-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Brunswick owns Mercury ... and that's why you can only get Mercs on some brands of boats !!

Do you remember when the name "Brunswick" was only associated with "BOWLING" :eek: :p ........ cp :cool:

Yep, I even remember "Bowling Ball Harleys"...:)

fishin3
02-20-2007, 07:49 AM
I think I have been I about all the boats stated in this thread and still like the ride of the Ranger the best then the stratus is the next one I would pick. The Triton I rode in was fine as long as you did not try to go fast then it wanted to walk something awfull. Ranger is layed out great and has that big front deck on it. Plus it don't sink real easy neither.

LIL' Joe
02-20-2007, 09:31 AM
You are correct on the chine walk between 60 and 70mph, and there is a learning curve to drive through it.

Greenwing
02-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Length would be what I would consider over the 2 Brands. I own a Ranger and it rides great, never been in a Triton, every boat that I have been in that was 20ft plus had a good ride.

possumcop
02-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Capps and Coleman have been offered free boats by several companies but they choose to buy a RANGER and fish out of it. So let me think!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that Ranger might be the best. So I bought one.