PDA

View Full Version : Minnow twisting line

Shines Mullet Shak
10-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Need a little help. When I fish straight down here is how I rig and the minnow twist my line awful. 1st egg sinker
2nd plastic bead
3rd barrel swivel
4th 4lb line
5th #2 gold hook
after a while and no fish leader line is twisted in a big not. Could you correct me.

SeaRay
10-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Way too complicated for me. I tie a crappie hook on my line with a loop knot leaving a foot of line below it. I slip on an egg sinker (1/2 to 1 oz) and crimp a small split shot on to hold the egg sinker in place. If the sinker snags, the split shot usually will slip off and free the line.
If I am using two hooks the first hook is a foot above the lower hook.

hugastump
10-08-2016, 11:32 AM
sounds like it should work , maybe change from 4 Lb. Monofiliament to 8Lb fluorocarbon might not twist up as easy.

gatoloco
10-08-2016, 12:07 PM
how long is leader? I do the same but the leader is only 3"-4". to much leader line gives them to move to much and get snagged or twist the line

Shines Mullet Shak
10-08-2016, 04:24 PM
My leader has been 12 to 15 inches. Will try your way. Thank you.

CrappiePappy
10-08-2016, 04:35 PM
My leader has been 12 to 15 inches. Will try your way. Thank you.

I rarely have a minner hook more than 6-8" below the sinker. Now if you were "moving" (slow trolling/drifting/spider rigging) you might get away with that long of a leader. But, when I first started with hook/sinker/minner when spider rigging ... I had the minner about 8" below the sinker. But, now that I'm using 14' rods (instead of 10'), I have jigs on a 2ft leader ... minners or no minners !! And that's because I'm constantly moving, so the jig (or jig/minner) will always be "following" the weight and not hanging below it.

doggone
10-08-2016, 07:37 PM
If you tail or back hook them the minnow can twirl twisting the line if the swivel has too much resistance .If I am moving the bait much I just hook em through the eyes or lips so they don't twirl. I think they get bit about the same. You may just need a swivel that turns easier. Every once in awhile even when you eye hook them the hook can turn and hook back into them causing them to ride awkward on the hook and twirl. The lighter the line the easier it will twist in that situation.

sinkermaker
10-08-2016, 09:13 PM
Might want to try a heavier flourocarbon leader and see if that helps.